• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TL8 Kill Switch Question

Heavy Chevy

Does anyone know exactly what the Emergency Shut Down Switch on a TL8 is connected too...i.e., what I am really trying to find out is if that switch is connected to the fuel shut off? If that switch was in the off position as the picture below, would it still allow the engine to turn over but not start?TL8 Emergency Shut Down Switch.jpg switch is directly connected to the fuel shut off...if not, how does it shut the machine down?

heymccall

Rephrase, or clarify, your question.

Yes, the kill switch disables the fuel shutoff, via the ECM and relay feeds. So, yes, the machine will crank the engine, but not start.

Heavy Chevy

Rephrase, or clarify, your question.

Yes, the kill switch disables the fuel shutoff, via the ECM and relay feeds. So, yes, the machine will crank the engine, but not start.
Heymccall, another question....during cold weather, what is the cold weather starting procedure? i.e., do you turn the ignition switch to on for a few seconds so to fire up the glow plugs...then start? Or is there something else that you should perform? As you can tell, I am not familiar with this machine yet.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
On my Taki excavators I have to turn the ignition switch the other direction to activate the glow plugs, a light comes on, on the dash while you hold it back the other way.

Heavy Chevy

On my Taki excavators I have to turn the ignition switch the other direction to activate the glow plugs, a light comes on, on the dash while you hold it back the other way.
I will check that out and see which direction causes the light to come on. thx

jturnage25

If your TL8 is turning over and not starting and that switch is good. You need to look at your fuel supply going to the engine. You have a SCV, suction control valve on the back of the injector pump. If you unplug it will go to full flow and should start. If not, you need someone to hook Diagmaster and check actual and target rail pressure.

Heavy Chevy

If your TL8 is turning over and not starting and that switch is good. You need to look at your fuel supply going to the engine. You have a SCV, suction control valve on the back of the injector pump. If you unplug it will go to full flow and should start. If not, you need someone to hook Diagmaster and check actual and target rail pressure.
Hadn't thought about the SCV...I pulled the fuel rail plug today and checked for debris....plug was little black on the end ..cleaned it off with brake clean as well as sprayed it up into the fuel rail and let drain back.

Attachments

• TL8 Fuel Rail End.jpg
    TL8 Fuel Rail End.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • TL8 Fuel Rail Plug.jpg
    TL8 Fuel Rail Plug.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Heavy Chevy

Email me and I can send you some info Jturnage25@yahoo.com
I will do that. I just pulled the dpf apart and it is clogged with oil. I'm gonna send it out and hope that it can be cleaned. There is no way it could run with all that oil. Mailed off the turbo today as that was pushing oil everywhere it appears....

Attachments

• TL8 DPF Apart1.jpg
    TL8 DPF Apart1.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
  • TL8 Turbo (Towards Intake).jpg
    TL8 Turbo (Towards Intake).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7

Heavy Chevy

I just got some bad news ....sent my doc and dpf off to be cleaned and both my dpf and doc are too clogged up to be cleaned....I guess that is why it wouldn't start...too choked up! Now I need the best and least expensive solution.