• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TL10 lower pin removal trick?

TnTitan

I can't get my lower pin to take grease. So my solution is to pull them out, clean it up and replace the pins if warranted (I don't think that's the case).

I'm stumped right out of the gates. There's a bolt through the end of the pin with two nuts on it. Not sure if this is factory. I can get the nuts off with no problem, but that bolt is not budging. It looks like the bolt is all thread - but surely it's not. I can't budge the bolt with a socket, or with a light beating (heat included). Anyone dealt with this? How are these bolts made? Threaded through tube that holds the pin?

Thanks,

scottwolowich

Try tapping the pin one way or the other to get the retaining bolt more centered so it will come out easier. Other than that beat it out and plan to replace it.

TnTitan

Try tapping the pin one way or the other to get the retaining bolt more centered so it will come out easier. Other than that beat it out and plan to replace it.

Okay - so you're saying it shouldn't be threaded other than into the nut. That's what I'd expect but it's so solid in there that I was doubting it.

TnTitan

I did pull up a parts diagram but it shows a cotter pin instead of a bolt. Not helpful. I’m sure there are several variations.

lantraxco

If it has a head on one end, and two nuts on the other, it's just rusted in place, or bent. Drive it or drill it out.

Spyros33

Occupation
Mechanical engineer, machine operator
Have you tried removing the grease nipple first to check if it is o. K. before talking out the pin?
If the nipple is in good condition you can try to clean the grease hole in the pin with a small drill or screwdriver.

TnTitan

Thanks guys. I got aggressive and started heating hotter and hitting harder. After much fuss, acetylene torch, and sledge hammer - I got it out. It was basically rusted in there. But I got it out cleanly. Now for the pin. I can't budge it, and I don't want to mushroom the end. So for now I put some Kroil oil in the pin, put as much grease as I could in there and I'm letting it sit. I hope I can put some more grease in tomorrow. But removing the pin seems like I would need to be prepared to buy new pins. It might come to that.

TnTitan

Have you tried removing the grease nipple first to check if it is o. K. before talking out the pin?
If the nipple is in good condition you can try to clean the grease hole in the pin with a small drill or screwdriver.

Yes, I took out the original nipples and replaced them with new ones. I've cleaned out what I can reach with a screwdriver and have put new grease several times. I think I've gotten more grease in it every time, but it hasn't started to come out to the outside of the pin yet.

scottwolowich

Are you using a manual grease gun or electric/air? Let it soak and try some heat plus whacking on the pin. Maybe hit it from the side that doesn't stick out of the bore and you can avoid mushrooming it if that makes sense.

TnTitan

I’m using a manual grease gun. What you say makes sense. My next plan is to heat it and then rapidly cool it. I’ll then hit it from the other side and try to break it loose. I’ll then use a bottle Jack to try and press it out.

TnTitan

Well, that didn't work. I can't keep the bottle jack square enough to apply the full 20 ton pressure, and I'm not sure that'd be enough. What pressure I did apply just spread the boom arms apart. That pin is really stuck. I think I'm resolved to taking it to a heavy equipment repair shop.

lantraxco

Portapower and a chain with ratchet binder or equivalent to hold the boom arms from spreading.

Worst case you may eventually have to blow or drill the center of the pin out, heat and cool to shrink. Of course at that point you might as well wait until it's worn sloppy and then replace the bushings too.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your problem is that you are fighting against yourself if the boom arms are spreading.
Also note that if you have plenty of weight on the joint and ratchet binders or similar holding everything from spreading you don't necessarily have to be hitting on the pin to move it. You can actually hit next to it and achieve allmost the same result.

Post of photo of the location. Someone will surely have some suggestions.

TnTitan

I did end up chaining the boom arms from spreading, I just mentioned it to illustrate that I was getting push. Photo attached that shows pin and top of bottle jack.
IMG_5839.JPG

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Look up pulling frozen equipment pins on you tube

ilovetracks

I grease my ctl70 lower pins multiple times a day to prevent this, as they wear dirt easily gets in and as bucket rotates it compacts it into grease port. Have you tried removing grease zerk and drill small bit into bore to remove dirt and maybe spray wd-40 in and soak dirt compacted in vertical bore and put zerk back in and try grease again to see if it will force dirt out.