• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TB240 ditching/grading bucket size

mmprestine

New here and looking for finish/ditching/grading bucket recommendations. I just got into a Takeuchi TB240 and would like to get a larger finish bucket for it. I have ran several small digging buckets 24" and less but never one of these. The manufacture specs anything up to a 60" but I find that hard to believe it would be reasonable on a machine this size. I am looking at a AIM 48" but unsure if this is took big. Any thoughts?

48IN-PC60-DC.jpg

https://aimattachments.com/listings/48-ditch-cleaning-midi-excavator-bucket-2/

Thanks,
Matt

Tags

Welcome aboard!! I wouldn't hesitate to put a 48" grading bucket on it, especially if you're the only operator....

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Re the bucket, it's more about volume than size. Yes bigger bucket = more steel but that isn't a huge amount of weight diff. You could get a wide/shallow bucket or a narrower/deeper bucket. The manuf. should have specs on their site for that. Just try and meet the capacity specs or close to. I run an oversize bucket on my 60. I believe the 240 is not a zero swing machine so should be able to handle something bit bigger.

Delmer

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 48" bucket either, but that one might be a little big like Canuck said. I'd expect a lighter duty and shorter bucket for a ditching bucket on that machine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I an SEC bucket 50" or so on my 6 ton 153. It is deep like the pic of this one appears to be. Machine handles it just fine, you would probably want one with a little less capacity. These things are one of the best bucket investments you can make in my opinion.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I suggest you take a few factors into account relating to bucket size, as a previous contributor stated. If you are to avoid a nodding donkey or at worst a machine that tips and hurts someone consult the machine specifications in addition to material weight – bucket weight – quick coupler if fitted will extend the reach worsening the situation. Often you can see the next question will be regarding additional counter weight. Making a calculation before procurement may well save some aggravation. Attached a couple of informations that may be helpful.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• GI About quick couplers 2.pdf
    829.4 KB · Views: 5
  • BucketStability.pdf
    814.3 KB · Views: 6

mmprestine

Thanks for all the responses, it is much appreciated. I am not sure what is up with the AIM website but I actually linked to the wrong bucket, well maybe. I have a quote from them that details this bucket below but the website says something different so I will have to contact them.

Weight: 245 lbs.
  • Width: 48"
  • Rated Capacity (cu ft): 8.1 or 0.31 cu yds
  • Fits Pin Diameter: 1-1/4"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-48-TAG...ket-Fits-6-12k-Machines-1-25-Pin/133541053509

I have done a little bit of home work on the calcs and based it on the detailed bucket capacity of 0.3 cu yds. Sand probably being the heaviest it would be around 810lbs in the bucket and the bucket itself weighs 245 lbs so a total of 1055 lbs swinging around. Based on the machine specs of 1350 lbs tip at 13ft reach it seems this bucket should be just fine. The machine has the TAG coupler or QC27 as some call it so not worried about the length offset of that. One thing that I was concerned about is the added rotation torque to the stick. At 48" or 24" per side that is a pretty big moment arm added compared to the normal buckets. I guess it call comes down to this being a material bucket and not for digging use. They seem to be a great addition to the lineup so I plan to get it.

Any comments on my thought pattern?

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I own a TB240. I bought a 48" TAG bucket for it and it works fine. I also own a TB153FR. I bought a 48" bucket for that machine. Both buckets work with the same size coupler. I now often use the bigger TB153FR 48" bucket on the TB240. I don't have a problem with the bigger bucket loaded with gravel as long as I'm careful swinging on the side and extending out low to the ground. The bigger bucket is great for loading soft dirt into the dump truck. I bought the buckets out of State and had them shipped to me which was cheaper than the dealer.
Excavation Work.jpg

mmprestine

Sounds like you are preferring the TB240 over the TB153FR these days. I contacted AIM and it is just a matter of normal capacity and high capacity and what I choose to order. It sounds like you like the high capacity better. Something I will have to consider.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I like both machines. I wanted a 60" wide very shallow bucket for light grading. I can't find one in the US. A high capacity 48" bucket works great just as long as you know and access the weight and balance of the machine and load whenever you are using it. A key factor is keep the loaded bucket close to you and low to the ground, and then lift over the blade. Same method as lifting heavy rocks, logs, stumps, catch basins, etc.

Delmer

the first bucket said 610 pounds, this one says 245, big difference. That first bucket just looked to heavy duty, and 600 pounds is too heavy to be practical.