• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TB016

special tool

Been looking for a 3500LBS. mini for a long time, and I am going to go with the Takeuchi.
I have made the decision based mostly on features and reports.
Anyone here have one, or run one?
I like the expandable track system.

Thanks for any imput.

Attachments

• 78788402.jpg
    78788402.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 7,790
  • 78788404.jpg
    78788404.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 10,296

AirBornOne

Tb016

Mmmm,fresh paint! Congrats.
I recently picked up a used 16 and really enjoy it.
I chose the Tak based on what I learned here on HE forums.
I'm cleaning up my little piece of property and will do a new foundation for the house.What will you use yours for-construction,demo?
Later :usa

special tool

Thanks - that's not my machine, yet.
I'll use it for demo, pipe, lower it into the hole, inside pumps. etc.

Yours goes down to 39 inches wide, right?

croweater

Cant help you with the Tak. but I moved from a JCB801 to a Cat 301.8C and the difference is chalk and cheese. The Cat feels like it has double the power when the going gets tough. If you are buying a machine for general contracting, dont even consider one without expandable tracks. The Tak. and Kubota KX41-3 were 2nd on my list but I wanted max. weight for size. and Cat was the cheapest ( believe it or not ). The zero tail swing models didnt interest me due to operator comfort.
Cheers
Bruce

AirBornOne

special tool

Yep.
I sneak it between the garage and a fence into the offending lot and tear up the bamboo.I was able to squeeze between the 2 garages and rip out some blackberry vines also.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=9829

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=10217

I'll have some updated picts soon.

:usa

Thanks.
Forgot to ask you the important question.
Is the aux. hydraulics one-way, or two-way?
I can't find that info on the standard aux. hyd. ANYWHERE on the net.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Cant help you with the Tak. but I moved from a JCB801 to a Cat 301.8C and the difference is chalk and cheese. The Cat feels like it has double the power when the going gets tough. If you are buying a machine for general contracting, dont even consider one without expandable tracks. The Tak. and Kubota KX41-3 were 2nd on my list but I wanted max. weight for size. and Cat was the cheapest ( believe it or not ). The zero tail swing models didnt interest me due to operator comfort.
Cheers
Bruce

Jcb's are not renowned as good machines, especially seeing as they still use gear pumps on the 801 range where everbody else is either using gear pumps with a load sensing system or variable displacement pumps!!

All Taks come with 2 way aux lines, even the micro!!!!

special tool

Jcb's are not renowned as good machines, especially seeing as they still use gear pumps on the 801 range where everbody else is either using gear pumps with a load sensing system or variable displacement pumps!!

All Taks come with 2 way aux lines, even the micro!!!!

Thanks for that bit of info - looks like 2-way pedals, but I wasn't sure.
I am going to demo one now.

big builder

I have an old tb 15 with over 10 000 hours on it.

I've dug entire foundations with it. tough as nails.

I absolutely love them and would recommend them to anyone. If they built a wheeled skid steer I would have bought one without a doubt. BOught a gehl instead.

I am trying to buy another bigger excavator but haven't found any tak's around that I can afford.

big builder

Yes, The meter quit at 9900 and that was years ago. IT is old.....from the 80's I am sure I don't know the exact age. I have put pins and bushings in it and rebuilt various parts but never the engine.

Logged alot of full days in that old girl..........no cab either. I once walked it across a frozen lake I think it took a almost a full day each way. LOL

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
I own a Kubota Kx41-2 and i love it, its 2002 with 1000 hrs. Never gives trouble.
Mate has a 1 year old jcb 801.4 and its a nightmare of a digger. the tracks have stopped working 4 times so far, keeps needing new pumps, and the main boom doesnt lift as high as the kubota for loading. I had the pleasure of working a takeuchi for 8 months and it was a great little machine. Only things i wouldnt be keen on is the long blade cause it can be awkward in tight spots, no suspension seat and diesel guale is a piece of plastic pipe that gets discoloured but maybe im just too fusy, anyway part from them small things there a great machine that dont cost the earth to buy either

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
I own a Kubota Kx41-2 and i love it, its 2002 with 1000 hrs. Never gives trouble.
Mate has a 1 year old jcb 801.4 and its a nightmare of a digger. the tracks have stopped working 4 times so far, keeps needing new pumps, and the main boom doesnt lift as high as the kubota for loading. I had the pleasure of working a takeuchi for 8 months and it was a great little machine. Only things i wouldnt be keen on is the long blade cause it can be awkward in tight spots, no suspension seat and diesel guale is a piece of plastic pipe that gets discoloured but maybe im just too fusy, anyway part from them small things there a great machine that dont cost the earth to buy either

I also own a kubota KX41 and love it aswell.

I agree with your feelings on the takeuchi though - all that technology yet they can't fit a proper dashboard and fuel gauge, (important on these size machines as often used by novices who wouldn't know where to look for fuel and just assume the machine will tell them otherwise) even my Kubota K008-3has a fuel warning light.

The large blade makes the machine very heavy for towing on a small trailer.

dirthog28

Special Tool, I've rented the TB016 quit a few times on smaller jobs, and would say I"m very impressed with the little sucker. Like all takeuchi's very smooth, fast and powerful. I've ran a yanmar, deere, and ihi all in this class catergory and would say if I was in the market, I would go with Takeuchi. I've ran the TB016 a couple of times grading yards in tight area and with a 2' bucket it looks like a ditch bucket on the little thing!

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
If their new machines are like their old machines, they are pretty damn decent. I have an '86 TB16 (back when they looked like Kubotas-orange) and it has been just about beat to DEATH but still runs/digs like a 3100 pound gopher. Mine has oddball (sort of like british jic) fittings that I have gradually been switching to nptf female swivel. The pins were all metric, too, as well as the cylinder bores.

I would expect if the hydraulic, and leverage engineering is done well, it's pretty hard to build a bad machine (though it apparently does happen) but the triple pump right off the engine is the way to go. That way the systems don't rob from eachother. I have seen other machines that were not set up this way (!!! :(). The weak link will always be the hoses, then the pins, then the tracks IMO. Basically wear items.

By the way, I specifically sought out a non zero tailswing machine for better stability and digging force. They definitely have their advantages. I wish mine had the pop out tracks and folding blade :( but I can still sneak through a 36" gate (34" wide) And one last thing- Tak's are common RENTAL machines- I suspect that speaks somewhat to their durability. Mine lived most it's life as one. Nothing gets beat like a rental machine. (right?)

Last edited:

big builder

I have pinned and bushed mine and bought the parts right from the dealer and they were cheaper than from a jobber.

I love that.