• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TB016 Hydraulic Return Filter Removal: Am I Doing This Wrong?

linux4me

I've got a Takeuchi TB016 that I need to do the 50-hour service on. The first item to take care of according to the manual is replacement of the hydraulic oil return filter. The manual makes it sound easy:
  1. Slowly turn the vent plug to release pressure, then remove. (No problem.)
  2. Remove the four bolts from the cover. (A in the photo. They were really on there, but I got them loose.)
  3. Remove the adaptor. (The arrow in the manual looks like it's pointing at C in the photo, which does look to me like the fitting that would need to come loose.)
TB016_Hydraulic_Filter_Housing-02-600x.jpg
It seemed backward to me to remove the four bolts from the cover first, but I followed the directions. The problem came when I tried to "remove the adaptor." I put a big Crescent wrench on B and another one on C, and tried to hold B still and turn C in the direction of the arrow. I couldn't budge it with just the Crescents. I ended up having to use 3-foot cheaters on both Crescents in order to turn it at all. I managed about a half-turn and it actually seemed to be getting harder to turn. All that torque with the cover loose was actually starting to move the return line out of alignment, so I stopped before I messed anything up (I hope).

This is my first time working on hydraulics, but this seems crazy for a part that is supposed to be removed to replace a filter. Am I doing this wrong? Are there reverse threads on the adaptor (C)? Is there some trick to getting this loose? I googled this and couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

elcheapo

I think you need to put a wrench on the elbow near "C" and then turn "C" in the opposite direction of your Green Arrow on "C". As I think you were making "C" tighter instead of looser.

linux4me

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's what it felt like, but I am not familiar with that type of fitting. I've got a service manual, and it doesn't seem to say anything about it.

Here's a side view of the fitting, if that helps. The photo is kind of dark...
TB016_Hydraulic_Filter_Housing-01.jpg

linux4me

I think you need to put a wrench on the elbow near "C" and then turn "C" in the opposite direction of your Green Arrow on "C". As I think you were making "C" tighter instead of looser.

Thank you elcheapo! You were spot on. I was turning the fitting the wrong way. I did as you suggested and it got looser, then a little tighter, then loosened up and came off. I got the filter changed, put it all back together, pressurized the system, and so far, no leaks. I'm really surprised it's not leaking after I overtightened it.

Johnfused

20230818_115011.jpgI've marked the direct to undo with yellow arrow.
Am now trying to change 2nd filter, but though I've released the bottom plate and can see the filter I can't remove the fat black rubber tube...