• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi hydraulic fluid?

nycb

Change to 10W and I think you will notice an immediate dfference in hydraulic system response when the machine is cold, and probably no difference at all when it's warm.

I honestly don't even know what is in it now. I'm going to guess AW 32 or AW 46, since he said he just used the same fluid as all the other equipment.

It was just changed and got new filters a few months ago.

heymccall

Well, again, as I've posted about all of my Takeuchis before, 10W TO4 oil, works reliably in them, year round, albeit, in zero weather, if not allowed a minor warm up period, the filter under the cab on my TL150 machines will suck shut (triggers restriction lamp and requires replacement).
And, BTW, unlike most users, when mine are run, they are run for 10 hour shifts, not an hour here and an hour there.

G-town81

Maybe I'm over thinking this. My takeuchi is coming up on the hydraulic oil change. Like others have stated the manual calls for 10w30 diesel oil. The total system capacity is just over 25 gals and the tank capacity (what actually is being changed) is just over 10 gals. My question is if you go with something other than 10w30 your system would be mixed. If you use something different do you have to flush out all the 10w30?

skata

You'll never get all the old fluid out. Just change what you can.
My tl140 used to feel somewhat sluggish in the drives in hot weather. I put in 10w-40 and it performs better when hot.

jimmydfi

So sorry for bringing this thread back to life but I am new and confused. I just purchased a TL250 with 2300 hours on it. I want to do a complete service but I am confused as to what the best hydraulic oil to use. 10 people say 10w30 like the manual 10 people say some AW 46ish, and 10 people say ATF TO4 10w. I am not experienced with all the different types of oils. I was leaning towards the TO4 10w because heymccall has 10000+ hours on his Taks. What brand of TO4 10w do I need? I can't seem to find any familiar brands online. Sorry for the long rant and confusion. Talk to me like a dummy because I am. Thanks again

skata

So sorry for bringing this thread back to life but I am new and confused. I just purchased a TL250 with 2300 hours on it. I want to do a complete service but I am confused as to what the best hydraulic oil to use. 10 people say 10w30 like the manual 10 people say some AW 46ish, and 10 people say ATF TO4 10w. I am not experienced with all the different types of oils. I was leaning towards the TO4 10w because heymccall has 10000+ hours on his Taks. What brand of TO4 10w do I need? I can't seem to find any familiar brands online. Sorry for the long rant and confusion. Talk to me like a dummy because I am. Thanks again
You can't go wrong by using what Takeuchi recommends. Takeuchi says you can use 10w30 or 10w40 diesel engine oil. Use the thicker oil if you're not in a cold climate.

jimmydfi

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific brand that would be best to use? Any benefits/disadvantages of using Rotella T4 10w30?

Tyler d4c

What about a multiviscosity fluid like hyguard?

I'm just worried about going to light with it and causing more wear than I really need to, especially when the manual calls for either 30 or 40
Hygard/moble 424 is a 10w-30 weight oil so I'm told.
Yes either would be fine I've use it in all my skidloaders.
Tho Nige pointed out when I had a oil's sample posted up from my 279c that the viscosity appeared higher then standard 10 weight oil.

skata

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific brand that would be best to use? Any benefits/disadvantages of using Rotella T4 10w30?
I use mystik. Can buy in 5 gallon buckets for pretty cheap.