• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi excavator window guard

mattman4455

I have a takeuchi tb290 excavator and recently purchased a brush mower for it and in short order while mowing i hit a dirt pile and sent a rock through my windshield. Decided i need to get a window guard for it. Does anyone know of a company that makes one that would fit. Preferably with lexan and not metal grating Or has custom made one. The few companys i looked at so far dont make one for my machine.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums MM4455! Glad to have you.

We just use plexiglass sheets you can buy at the big box stores for our excavators. We have one for our 305 and one for our 325. Cat cabs have threaded studs on the cab that make installing the sheets pretty simple. Over time the plexiglass will weather and get scratched at that point just get a new sheet.

heymccall

Polycarbonate (Lexan or equivalent) is far more suitable, and safer, and more durable than acrylic (plexiglass or equivalent).

Replacement bottom front windows are easily made and installed with Lexan. The upper glass, after you cut out your broken glass, need adhered with Sikaflex, not the same as glass adhesive.

For your application, I'd simply get a piece of polycarbonate cut to match the whole opening, plus a few extra inches. Then secure outside the cab with straps, hooks, or bungee cords to existing fixtures, such as the hand rail, work lamp brackets, etc.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Polycarbonate (Lexan or equivalent) is far more suitable, and safer, and more durable than acrylic (plexiglass or equivalent).

Interesting. Lexan is listed under plexiglass on HD's website.

Thought it was all the same.

rbrown225

If you are running a brush cutter I would stay away from plexiglass and go to Polycarbonate (Lexan) with an abrasion resistant coating which also has a UV blocker. I am running a mulcher and have 1/2" bolted to the front with rubber washers. When I was starting out I got some 3/4 Plexiglass at a auction and shot a piece of it with a 9mm at about 15 yards. It went right through and took about 2" out of the back. Needless to say didn't install that. I get mine from Laird Plastics in Spokane WA " lairdplastics.com " You can cut it on a table saw to fit.

warpumpkin

Paladin CustomWorks offers a 1/2" polycarbonate (equivalent to LEXAN MR-10) window guard for the TB285/TB290. The part number is WK1290010 and it must be ordered through a Paladin dealer (not necessarily a Takeuchi dealer). The dealer will have to provide the current price and lead time.