• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

take your pick

deere88

lets say that you were going to start a commercial site development company and you could only have two machines for the first year.......what two machines wouls you pick? and what size?

I think an excavator is probably a need for sure.....what whats your thoughts?

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Well not that my family biz did a ton of com. projects but we did tackle a number and aside from having the skid loader there as more of a back saver the only two other machines on alot were the TD-15C dozer and 312 CAT excavator. Make do with what you have. I will say though, we did usually have the JD 860 scraper there as well to move mass amounts of dirt but otherwise just the dozer and excavator.

Trbo

EddieWalker

What is a commercial site development company?

Sounds like dirt work for building commercial buildings?

If it's something like that, then a dump truck and backhoe would be my two choices. Does a trailer count? Gonna need one of those too!!!

Eddie

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Excavator and loader for the first year, add a dozer later. The only reason for the loader before dozer is to move pipe around and handle backfill material.

joispoi

It depends on what size job(s) you´re doing. If the machine is grossly over/undersized for the job, you´re losing money faster than you make it.

With the down turn in the economy, I would lease the needed equipment for each job. You´re more likely to have the right machine for the job this way. You may not make as much money on each job, but you won´t be paying on equipment that sits when there´s no work.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I would want an Excavator and a loader for the first year.

X2 - most versatile pieces, you can rent a roller and dump trucks if you need them. And for my area, that would be a track loader.

Last edited:

jmac

Excavator and loader but the loader could be a good sized skid loader not a big wheel loader. I use my skid and excavator the most. A dozer you have to have if you have dozer work to do, just to time consuming to use a excavator but can be done. All this proves is that it is very hard to get into site work with just 2 machines, I found this out real fast and had to buy
dump truck
trailer
skid steer
excavator
dozer
roller
and still could use a backhoe, nicer dump truck, bigger dozer, bigger excavator, smaller excavator, wheel loader, lowboy, dump trailer, another skid steer, screen plant, hoe pac, trench box, big pole barn for all this to sleep in, on and on and on.

Last edited:

brandt pc400

Occupation
opearator
lets say that you were going to start a commercial site development company and you could only have two machines for the first year.......what two machines wouls you pick? and what size?

I think an excavator is probably a need for sure.....what whats your thoughts?

Pc300 and dp65 komatsu all the way:usa

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Keep an Eye on Where you are Going With your Business

One thing to remember is to plan on where you think your business is going and get equipment that compliments each other. If it was me I would go with a 12 to 16 ton excavator and around a 100 H.P. Dozer. If you are doing mostly dirt work the people telling you to go with a track loader with a 4 in 1 bucket are giving you good advice. What I mean about Equipment that Compliments each other is when you are ready to expand you can buy a big tri-axle dumptruck with a heavy duty tag trailer. Then you have something you can bill out on jobs AND move your equipment. Then if you want to add a Backhoe or Skid Steer you can still move it. If you add more Dump Trucks you have more rigs to move your equipment. Everythings working together.

I don't know if it's a mistake or not but in the past when I would find a low houred piece of equipment that was cheap I would buy it. The way I looked at it is I can stick my part time guy on it a job or two a year and make the payment. That's why I have so much equipment that is all over the place. I used to think having a lot of Iron was a good thing, until I started pulling off of a good excavator job to do a 2 hour backhoe job as a "favor". Now I'm getting down to 4 to 6pieces of equipment that Compliment each other.

I guess I could tell you my 2 favorite pieces of equipment.:)

A Case CX 160 Excavator with a Hydraulic Thumb
A D4H LGP Hi-Track Caterpillar Dozer with 6 Way Blade