• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Take it seriously

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
I have noticed that many people seem to approach transportation in a random and careless manner, or even worse, as an area for cutting corners.

There seems to be a DOT fobia, mixed with a CDL fobia that produces some strange approaches to moving our equipment.
If your transportation level allows you to pass "under the radar", thats great, but in many cases, too small trucks, pulling over rated trailers using porch swing wire or suspenders to secure equipment are driven by under qualified non-certified drivers and are a real danger.

Since grading, hauling, and heavy equipment are somewhat related, most companies either begin hauling their own equipment or contract the moves. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

It would be interesting to hear how trucks and equipment transport affect contractors at varoius industry levels. Thanx

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
G,day Triaxle, in our part of the world the "Heavies" (DOT - Heavy Haulage Inspectors) are big on over loading so thats what seems to be at the forefront of most operators minds. I'm not sure you would call it a Phobia.

I find two things cavalier in the transport game and the first doesn't really affect us as equipment operators; that is despite all the new regs and fines etc long haul guys are still doing BS hours and popping pills like nothing..and its more than "the few bad apples" people would have you believe. More in the line of equipment operators is a real lack of a basic understanding of how to secure a load. I find it amazing when I have a driver deliver out a machine and he doesn't even know the mass of the machine. How can he secure adequatley if he doesn't know the weight??. I feel this is like 90% due to practically no training in this area and a lot of the documentation (regulations)not being appropriate for your average Joe the grade stake nailing truck driver. Lets face it, most truckies have to remember to lift their arms up walking to the truck or they'll wear out their knuckles :D :D

(most of this post was serious)

Wolf

Road Conditions

Funny you should mention it. I was gonna head up the road and do some skiing today, and the roads just suck. Not really plowed or anything. Even though they said plowed, they don't salt or anything like that. Do they salt and plow in your area. Anyhow, the road was so bad, I decided to turn back before heading up the hill. In my younger days, would have gone, no problem, but don't want to fall off the mountain.

So, do they plow and salt where you are, or just plow or what. how do they make the roads driveable where you are?