• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tags

pittedmess

Occupation
mechanical engineer
How many of you folks register your trailers in Maine to save the out of line fees most states charge for licensing? ...

Dualie

I have a buddy that registers all his collector cars through a lawyers office in Montana. saves several thousand bucks a year by doing so

Old Doug

I have a buddy that registers all his collector cars through a lawyers office in Montana. saves several thousand bucks a year by doing so
Is this to keep from paying taxes on them. I worked for a company that had a PO box in a diffrent state for this resone.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Well,I was about a day away from pulling the trigger on this,good thing I didn't.100% ILLEGAL for a resident of NY to register any trailer in any other state other than NY.It came right from NY DMV after I e-mailed them my question.They sent me the exact laws on this,no question,illegal,if you do it and get caught there's huge fines involved.This applies to both commercial and non-commercial trailers.

Old Doug

That reminds me of the poeple that had PO boxes in 2 states. That way they could get 2 welfare checks. In MO we have farm tags. It cost me 130.00 for my pickup tags and my buddy 30.00 for his farm tags. 90% of farm taged pickups never hauled any farm stuff. Their are billions of dollars saved by poeple doing stuff like this you have to figure out if you can sleep ok knowing it many cost you more in the end.

Dualie

its illegal for a person to do so but not a company. is this a personal trailer or a company trailer?