• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

T190 Puffing Steam on Warm Startup

Philosaw

My 2500 hr t190 just started puffing out steam for a few seconds on warm startup. I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of anything simple that can cause it, or should I think head gasket right off. Also, I recently had the radiator out for a thorough cleaning and after reinstalling I hear a gurgling for a while after shutting down. Didn't have that before. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

crewchief888

Unfortunately, it went into overheat shutdown prior to my removing the radiator where I found that the hose to the tank was bad. Probably a headgasket?

typically a kubota will crack the head before it blows the gasket. it usually takes several times overheating an engine.

are ya sure it's steam?
any antifreeze smell to the exhaust when it puffs smoke?

:drinkup

Philosaw

Yeah, it smells. Today I was moving it and keeping an eye on things when the temp rocketed up and shut down. I checked the water which had just been topped off and saw it was full. I'm thinking thermostat now among other things.

crewchief888

Yeah, it smells. Today I was moving it and keeping an eye on things when the temp rocketed up and shut down. I checked the water which had just been topped off and saw it was full. I'm thinking thermostat now among other things.

i always replace the thermostat whenever an engine gets overheated and shuts down.

Philosaw

So, I've pretty well determined that I have either a head gasket gone or a cracked head. Now my question is can I remove the head with the engine in or should I pull it? I know that sometimes a head can be done in place but can be much easier with the engine out.

crewchief888

So, I've pretty well determined that I have either a head gasket gone or a cracked head. Now my question is can I remove the head with the engine in or should I pull it? I know that sometimes a head can be done in place but can be much easier with the engine out.

leave the engine in the machine.
the last thing i want to do is pull an engine in a track machine....

Philosaw

Ok, so I replaced the head which was fairly easy except for Bobcat's inability to get me the correct parts. After doing so, I went to fire it and though I got it started, it ran really rough. So I thought , no problem, I'll bleed it and all will be good. I bled cylinders 1,3&4 and all acted normal and blasted fuel out when loosened and evened out when tightened, but number 2 cylinder did nothing of the sort. It just stayed the same and almost no fuel blew out. After repeating the procedure a couple of times, I finally removed the nut at the injector while running and nothing was happening. I then removed the line and blew it out, but there was no obstruction. I had earlier found that the hand pump leaked, so I thought that maybe it was draining down and preventing me from properly bleeding the system. Today I replaced the hand pump, changed the filter and tried once again to bleak the system, only to find that number 2 was still starving. That type of problem is really difficult because I can't help but feel that maybe it has something to do with the head replacement, although that really doesn't make sence. Anyone have any ideas?

Philosaw

Ok, so I replaced the head which was fairly easy except for Bobcat's inability to get me the correct parts. After doing so, I went to fire it and though I got it started, it ran really rough. So I thought , no problem, I'll bleed it and all will be good. I bled cylinders 1,3&4 and all acted normal and blasted fuel out when loosened and evened out when tightened, but number 2 cylinder did nothing of the sort. It just stayed the same and almost no fuel blew out. After repeating the procedure a couple of times, I finally removed the nut at the injector while running and nothing was happening. I then removed the line and blew it out, but there was no obstruction. I had earlier found that the hand pump leaked, so I thought that maybe it was draining down and preventing me from properly bleeding the system. Today I replaced the hand pump, changed the filter and tried once again to bleak the system, only to find that number 2 was still starving. That type of problem is really difficult because I can't help but feel that maybe it has something to do with the head replacement, although that really doesn't make sence. Anyone have any ideas?
O
Just in case someone's interested. I pulled the pump and brought it in to our local injection pump repair company and they found that the number 2 cylinder was spun and fixed it for $85. Best money I've spent in a long time! Using it now and it runs perfect. The r&r on the pump was as easy as could possibly be. Still gets me that a problem will pop up that's totally unrelated to the work at hand. Kinda makes you think the Machine gods are just messing with you!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Phil, That is a strange problem w/ those pumps..
The top nut/ delivery valve holder, is torqued to 30 ftlbs and is held in place w/ a clamp after tightening..
BUT as soon as you loosen the steel line on the pump, as I'm sure you did to get the head off, it will spin/loosen the nut.. ??? go figure..
Darn good price for the fix tho.. you better keep that # handy for the future..