• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

t180 low oil pressure

punchlist

we have a t180 that has low oil pressure and has cut itself off. I put a manual pressure gauge on it and pressure starts at 55 drops to 20s after 20 min running around the yard cycling the loader arms and bucket. I changed the oil pump and it takes maybe 5 more minuites for the same senario to repeat it self. I changed the oil pressure sender with another out of another t180 that we have and the problem still is there. Now i have the engine out and the oilpan off and the rods seem tight the cylinder walls good and the inside of the engine is spotless. One other thing about 20 hrs ago the turbo was replaced because there was oil leaking out of it. Any ideas???? im stumped

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I haven't been into the innards of one of those engines so there's not much specific advice I can offer, but with the trouble it is to pull a Bobcat engine, if I had it out viewing the crankcase, I'd go ahead and put a new oil pump in it. And again, I don't know that engine, but most engines have an oil pressure regulator in the lube circuit, possibly something awry with your regulator?

punchlist

I already put a new oil pump in. It took about 25 more minuites for the problem to reoccur vs 20. Any ideas where bobcat may have hidden a regulator or would it be in the kubota engine i'm guessing in the engine itself. The engine has just shy of 2000 hrs on it. Also the rods have slight lateral play in them but no up and down play and the crankshaft has no discernable lateral play

xcmark

Occupation
construction
side clearance has little to oil pressure, you need to know what the bearing to crank clearances . Plastic gauge works food for a person that doesnt have all the tools needed.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I don't know mush about these engines! But does it have an engine oil cooler? had a perkins engine and went through all the same as you, with no results! pulled the oil cooler as a last thought, and it was blocked! causing the relief valve to block off! Just a thought
Aiden

crewchief888

i dont have the pressure/rpm charts in front of me right now, but i have a couple questions
what is the fault code(s) it's throwing @ shutdown?
is the engine running hotter than normal ?
what weight oil are you running?
at what eng rpm does it shut down?

:drinkup

punchlist

I'll have to check the code/codes tommorrow but light comes on and it says low engine oil pressure , then run 4 maybe 5 min more shut down low oil pressure, bobcat got it down to 17 psi without shutdown on the computer. Temp is normal. Oil is 15-40 rotella inside of the engine is literally the cleanest i've ever seen. About 1800 2/3 throttle no gauge on machine seems to be tied to time running with hyd cycling, no cycling ok, just sitting running ok

crewchief888

I'll have to check the code/codes tommorrow but light comes on and it says low engine oil pressure , then run 4 maybe 5 min more shut down low oil pressure, bobcat got it down to 17 psi without shutdown on the computer. Temp is normal. Oil is 15-40 rotella inside of the engine is literally the cleanest i've ever seen. About 1800 2/3 throttle no gauge on machine seems to be tied to time running with hyd cycling, no cycling ok, just sitting running ok

with the info you've just given me, and with bobcat's verification of 17psi oil pressure.
heres my thoughts now.
eng oil pressure
coolant temp
hyd temp
charge pressure
seat bar switch
PWM right handle switches
all these are run by the 8volt power supply in the controller.
any or allcould be the source of the problem.
a fault by one, could throw a single code, (and not be the problem) or multiple codes

by any chance,
if you unplug the hydrostatic charge pressure switch, does it have oil in it? same with the eng oil pressure sender?
also check the conector (harness) end, where they plug into the sender for loose contacts, you will be able to see a socket that is spread open a little more than the others.
hope this helps :beatsme

crewchief888

Where is the hydrostatic charge pressure switch located? The oil pressure sender is getting oil

it depends on the "vintage" of the machine, it may be near the hyd filter in the back, if it's a later machine, it should be under the cab, either in the fan motor block, or in the hose going to the fan motor.
it looks similar to the eng oil pressure switch, same molded 3 pin connector.
they are not interchangable one is a pipe thread, the other has an oring seal.
what i'm asking is, when you unplug the connector from the sender, is there oil in inside where the connector plugs in?

punchlist

No oil in the connection on the oil pressure sender. Ill check the hydro tommorrow. Question on the switch voltage possibility I put a t on the engine oil sender port and put the gauge back in and put a manual gauge on the other port and when the low oil pressure light came on checked the pressure and it was 23 wouldn't this reading cancel out electrical probs?

crewchief888

No oil in the connection on the oil pressure sender. Ill check the hydro tommorrow. Question on the switch voltage possibility I put a t on the engine oil sender port and put the gauge back in and put a manual gauge on the other port and when the low oil pressure light came on checked the pressure and it was 23 wouldn't this reading cancel out electrical probs?

23psi @ what eng rpm?

you cant rule out any of the other senders or switches i mentioned in a previous post, they all work off the same 8v power supply in the main controller.
a bad switch or sender can throw a fault code for another switch or sender.

crewchief888

22 psi @ 1800 is low

i'd be looking for at least 30psi @ that eng rpm.

if you PM me the SN, i can take a look at a service manual in the morning, if i get a chance,and see if i can find out any more info.

crewchief888

engine oil pressure table

T180 sn 5314XXXXX
5315XXXXX
5242XXXXX
5275XXXXX
5243XXXXX
5276XXXXX

RPM PSI voltage
700-1300 warning 8 1.77
shutdown 8 1.77