• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swing drive and final drive oil recommendations for Cat 312 1994

Jay450c

The Dirt Boss is a favorite YouTube channel of mine, and in his Kobelco he used Rotella T4 15w40 in his swing drive and 90w gear oil in his final drives. I have these oils on hand and was wondering peoples thoughts. Im surprised how little information is available online with its vast amount of information.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Spending hundreds of dollars for manuals seems to be the only option
How so.? You can download an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it from the Cat Pubs web site for $52. Put SEBU6724 in the box and click Search - covers all 6GK machines from first built.

If you want a full service and repair manual that will cost signifcantly more. Search for SENR6130, new they are priced at $930 or $660 on CD. Here's one on eBay at $465 and if it is complete it will include the O&M Manual as well.

It's a "full-size" Cat excavator (as opposed to a mini-ex). Therefore the oil is anything that meets Cat TO-4 specification in SAE50.

1714400201576.png

The Dirt Boss is a favorite YouTube channel of mine, and in his Kobelco he used Rotella T4 15w40 in his swing drive and 90w gear oil in his final drives. I have these oils on hand and was wondering peoples thoughts. Im surprised how little information is available online with its vast amount of information.
You've obviously not been looking in the right places until you came here......

Cat finals do not react well to gear oils because of the EP additives which are known to attack the silicone rubber in the Toric rings of the Duo-Cone seals. The same TO-4 oil is recommended for the swing drive.

Jay450c

How so? I’m finding almost zero discussion on this topic and what alternatives guys are using. And it’s surprising you have to spend $52 for maintenance reference materials. I guess manuals are a big money maker and they hold them under lock and key unlike almost all other machines that open source their documents. I’m searching here after looking at the internet because I know this place has people who know what I’m looking for. Everyone keeps stating the same thing though “anything that meets T0-4 specs.” Ok great, now what oil would that be? What brand? What are guys using other than TO-4 30? I’m asking which oil should I buy specifically. Or a couple options. What alternate oils are guys using. Just any 50 weight motor oil? If someone can give me a brand and what type of oil to get at tractor supply, that would be wonderful. If anyone knows, please LMK

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
anything that meets T0-4 specs
It should say on the label of the container of any oil if it meets TO-4 specs.
What are guys using other than TO-4 30?
It should be TO-4 50, not 30.
what type of oil to get at tractor supply
Have you tried going there and asking them what they sell in the way of TO-4 oils.?
TBH you really ought to be setting your sights a bit higher when it comes to lubricants than TS. Good quality oils & filters are the cheapest insurance policy you can buy for any machine.
I’m asking which oil should I buy specifically. Or a couple options. What alternate oils are guys using. Just any 50 weight motor oil?
Definitely not SAE50 motor oil. It does not contain the required additive package to perform a power transmission function.

You wanted some brand recommendations. Here goes:-
Mobiltrans HD50
Conoco Powerdrive 50
Shell Spirax S4 CX50
Caltex Torque Fluid 454
Chevron Delo Torqforce 50
Petro Canada Produro TO-4+50

Jay450c

Just called my local Cat parts department and he recommended TO-4 30. But he said 10-30 would be fine. And like others, he couldn’t specifically give me a proper alternative. He said any 30 would work and I said “well of what? Gear oil, or motor oil.” He wasn’t sure. I need 3 gallons so I’m just going to spend the $29 per gallon and get the Cat stuff rather than worry.