• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swing Bearings on a Grove 300LP

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
""The good signal guys always watch the boom alignment over the load and not the load on a hydraulic ..espicially on long boom ..""

or Especially taking something down. They let the boom deflect, radius increases, then..They cut it loose on ya. It's what we call in the south..Swarming yer ...buttocks. But the good ones, will watch that.

We built some tanks 105' in diameter. Peak height was only 100' or so. Load is only 5,000 pounds. Amazing how large a crane it takes sometimes.

Indeed ...

We sat up a 600T hydro to put an air unit in over this place ..main and full luffer ..for one air unit ..that showed up on a GMC TopKick...We were substantially less than a helicopter to do the same lift ..8 hr's to set up 7 to break it all down ..the lift took less than 20minutes ..

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I just had a thought Impact ..
You got a "port-a-power" hydrualic jack unit ..

If you made a fitting and hooked it up and pumped transmission oil ,or fuel oil in the bearing ..It has alot of detergent,It would help clean out the crud .....Some decent EP1 or 2 what ever your weather is doing ,after to slick it all back up ..

Attachments

• Porta-Power-Jack.jpg
    Porta-Power-Jack.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 313

heavylift

I know stuff bends.. I was told years ago, it's just a big fishing pole... the more weight the more bend...
I've picked stuff up.. and thought it would never stop running away from the crane.. but it was only about 3000 lbs valve.... but with somewhere around 200' of boom... and half of that was lattice... it was about 20 to 30 ft from where it started....

we were on a job that a helicopter did... I have pics... If I can get my scanner to work... I'll post them... probably 20 lifts ... a St Louis company.....
Had to move because the super said I couldn't take pics.... The main reason was the Home Depot truck setting at the doors of a new Lowes... I wish I had got a pic of that...
well I guess I will look at scanner

td25c

Cool job pictures Impact.We get in on alot of grain handling systems & elevator work to.always interesting.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I just had a thought Impact ..
You got a "port-a-power" hydrualic jack unit ..

If you made a fitting and hooked it up and pumped transmission oil ,or fuel oil in the bearing ..It has alot of detergent,It would help clean out the crud .....Some decent EP1 or 2 what ever your weather is doing ,after to slick it all back up ..

Keep going back and reading this post... THAT might work.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Never Know ...Hardenend grease may be sticking the balls..Any luck after a week of running and pumping ..you may score a little for the home team ...

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
:eek: Christ !! I knew they bent, but nooooooooooooot that faaaaarrr

Ya they do ..Found these ..they aint mine ..but its a load test on a lil'Liebherr

Attachments

• Newcraneandvarious009.jpg
    Newcraneandvarious009.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Newcraneandvarious012.jpg
    Newcraneandvarious012.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 312

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Bends like a fishing rod with a large mouth bass attached to the other end! :D

crane operator

Impact- something else you may try. Boom down over the side like 25 said and try to push it. Then back off or pull the little pucks on the swing brake and try it again. Replace the brake and then pull the hyd motor on the top of the swing box and try it again. If you notice a big difference between motor and no motor you may have the wrong hyd motor installed, one that will not let it free swing/ bypass through. The crane is designed so that it should free swing. If you've got 80' of stick out at 45deg. you should be able to set up level, swing over the rear (do this in a wide open area) jack up the outriggers all the way on the left or right side and the crane should take off swinging. Sometimes the swing motor gets replaced when it loses a seal, instead of buying the right high $ one, the owner buys a cheap replacement and suprise no free swing. The bearing itself is essentially two bolt together halves with bearing balls inbetween. What leiberr is getting at is putting a thin detergent type oil in (Diesel / atf) to remove old dried hard grease/dirt thats packed in the bearing. New grease is not going to help that problem. Also as you're rotating and greasing/ is there grease showing below or above at the seal point? Some models of these have a water drain on the bottom that becomes packed with dirt/ old grease and water stays trapped in the bearing. Take a piece of wire and scratch the hole open underneath (be ready for a bath) I've seen 10 gal of water come out.

heavylift

Have you stopped the growling yet. hope the pump to clean works. Sounds like a good idea. messy but if that the fixes the problem. it's more money in your pocket.

Here's a chopper, the last only close up before the super said NO​

Attachments

• IM000665.jpg
    IM000665.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 318

Impact

Occupation
Owner
No, haven't stopped the growling yet. It's been on a job site almost constantly since starting this thread.

I've been busier than a one arm paper hanger lately. Been working on bidding a new project and just got the nod to proceed. Biggest project I've done to date. The schedule is tight and there's some unique things I've never dealt with before. The soil conditions aren't suitable to support the storage tanks we proposed. Two sets of engineers been looking at it and both recommend auger casts. From what I've learned, 18" diameter holes are dug, and grout injected into the hole. There's a grid of these auger casts on 7-8' centers. Total of like 700 of them. After enough are in place for one structure, I'll pour a 2' thick pad of concrete over the top as a base to start work. It'll be a clean place to work, once that pad is in place. It'll be a total mud hole BEFORE it's in place. 700 Cubic yards in one pour.

Right now we're demolishing a 22,000 SF grain storage building. Massive steel compared to what I normally do. We have two telehandlers, two cranes, a boom lift, and four cutting/welding rigs on site. Visited the site yesterday and will probably end up with two more telehandlers there. They are all working great, except the brand new Pettibone. It's not charging.

Oh, I had a Gehl 883 in the shop the last few weeks. Had just installed a new engine in it, and we finally decided to repack all the hydraulic cylinders. While it was apart, decided to clean it up and paint it. Was going to hire someone, but decided to do it ourselves. $8,000 in the engine, $3,500 in the cylinders, paint, etc etc, wasn't going to buy the decal kit for $700. But, after it was painted looked so good, ordered the decals. Looks like a BRAND new machine after four new tires. Spent a total of about $15,000 on it. I figure if it were to sell, it'd bring about $9,000. LOL But, that doesn't matter, I'm not selling it.

No1Hookman

Occupation
Duh.......
X2 on the orbit motor and swing brake. I had an RT65S a few years back and that mechanical disc can be a real pain in the arse. Same can be said with the swing motors. It's rather doubtful the swing bearing is at fault here.

cranetools

Occupation
Crane Service Engineer/Troubleshooter - Web master
This is normal deflection on these cranes - with the boom unloaded it may even have some backward chamber.
In regard to the bearing have you measured the play by using a dial indicator - just curious what you might find. Most bearing are a roller type or a double roller type bearing but there are some others.

heavylift

auger cast can be a total mess if the auger cast company is left to clean their spoils... put it this way they don't....they will push the center clean..dump the bucket.... dip it... then drop the cage in it...
the job is a huge mess... we had one project that the auger cast said they would clean..nope

I always clean as they drill... this is usually good dirt... it's the dirt after they grout is started that is quite messy... then by the time they pull out .... there is very little spoil left on the ground.. all the spoil is hauled off the pad or a dump truck is setting on site to be loaded.. this all depends on the area and space available for spoils... we tried a small 2' tall roll off but after the first load they refuse to bring it back... even with a layer of sand in the bottom ..it wouldn't slide out... Hint they need picked up daily...

then they will jump all over the site because of the piles being too close.... can't drill within 5' or whatever of a pile for a few days.... some piles caps areas may take 2 weeks to finish the 5 pile set.. They are still drilling but that cap will set a couple days before they come back to it..

I've done projects with up to 2000 piles... and at less than forty a day well.... BORING...
it had over 7000 yards of concrete in the foundation.. that set on the piles...they divided it into four pours..

All the piles are below grade so after they top them off, I would fill them with sand, later..that did 2 things closed a hazard, plus made digging easier... because you can get grout pushed into an open hole... then the hand work is harder...

Below grade is easier on everyone... we have left the foundation holes 2' high on purpose...so the auger cast equipment can move around the site.... with out driving thru a forest of re-bar

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I appreciate the input heavylift. About the same information I've been hearing about auger casts. It'll be my responsibility to clean away the spoils. I expect it to be utter chaos.

We're pouring about 3500 yards in the auger casts. Then there's over 2,000 yards just in the footings. Lotsa mud.

heavylift

The more you get cleaned while they are drilling down is the best way to go.... Things get a little hectic when it starts out of the hole....

I always help them a little.... like dragging a hose or whatever...

a couple of times a foreman had to come by at the start to tell them this is how it's going to work......

The best machine for the job... well the one I like the best ... was a 247 Cat ... they glide right over the top of 3" or 4" hoses.... wheeled skids for the most part it's a bronc ride all day long... if you cross a hose a 1000 times a day...

The grout isn't a problem on the boogies or tracks.... they can be cleaned if needed just about every hole

It's the bucket that gets the worst end of the deal

Also you need to build a really small pond... they will prime the hose with grout.. some times the 1st truck... is just for that... better in a small pond.... end of day is the same way.... they will pump water thru the hose and augers to clean... I usually try to find out where they will drill last... sometimes they will walk to an area to clean..
but I always have a spot for them to start and stop .. I then mix it with dry spoils..

The grout pump.... well that's usually cleaned the next morning after the grout has set... It's usually not on the pad...