• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

swing bearing bolts breaking

Randy88

Three of us did this weekend, now waiting for seals and some small parts to get in so I can button it up and move it out of the shop.

First off I'll admit, I was very hesitant of doing this job, but thanks to Nige and Tctractors I decided it must not be as bad as I was thinking [the safety issue] and the parts finally showed up so we did it this weekend.

I have to thank you guys especially Tctractors who suggested cribbing up the upper structure and leave the undercarriage alone. We took our time, as in slow as a snail to make sure it was safe, had about four times more cribbing than was needed just to be sure we didn't run out, added extra cribbing everywhere to add safety to this job, and in less than six hours we had it done. I'm not sure how much faster we could have changed the bearing if we'd have known what we were doing and had done one before, but I'm sure we could have done in far less than six hours, that's for sure, we spent more time studying if it was safe and with every move we made, that it couldn't move on its own, etc, etc, etc.

I'll also admit, I had a crane as a backup in case we thought it might not be safe or might shift, but never needed it at all.

The cribbing, the way Tctractors does it, is the slickest and simplest way of doing this job ever and I'll have to admit, once its done, was also the safest by far.

It took some doing to get the upper structure aligned to get all the bolts in, but once we had one in, most of the battle was done, we just used a chain binder to slide the upper structure the last partial inch to get things lined up.

It didn't take much to get the broken bolts out, and there are some holes not used, not sure why they were not tapped, shorter bolts could have been put in those holes with no issues, but according to the book they are not supposed to have bolts in them.

Again thanks to everyone who helped me out with this, and for anyone reading this and thinking about doing theirs on their own, its not that bad of job and just study the cribbing Tctractors used and how he did it and take your time and go slow, but its essential to have help, leave one in the cab and at least one more doing the bocks and giving instructions.

As for pictures, I'm sorry we were stressed enough and never gave it a thought till we were done.