• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swapping an N14 to a 3406 in a T800

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I am going to be swapping out a bad N14 for a 3406. I have never done this before. Are there any tips, tricks or warnings I need to know?

Thanks!

pushbroom

Find a similar year T800 with a cat and order the factory harness for it. Also take some pictures of routing/ location of lines to help you make it close to a factory install. if you have a serial number from a CAT powered T800 I can get you all the factory harness schematics and routing. You can also try theses dudes, kustomtruckparts.com I have gotten a couple harness from them. Rad hoses/ pipes intake and exhaust are straight forward enough. It is better to get a cat that came out of a kenworth as flywheel housings, thermostat housings, fan hub, fuel filter mount location and turbo mounting location change per OEM.

Truck Shop

Here's the last six for a late 1996-758640 the harness should work just fine.

Truck Shop

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Why why why would you go through all that work of changing more things than you know. Find a mechanical N14 if you want no electronics. The N14 is probably one of the most economical engines for making a good amount of simple horsepower. Find your donor truck that has everything.

Truck Shop

Why why why would you go through all that work of changing more things than you know. Find a mechanical N14 if you want no electronics. The N14 is probably one of the most economical engines for making a good amount of simple horsepower. Find your donor truck that has everything.

I totally agree-a mechanical N14 can be built for reliable big power. And it would be a bolt-in. If the truck you have is a 92 it should have a mechanical N14 in it. A fellow
here in town has one that will flat run with any factory 600 hp truck out there. The N14 is a great engine mechanical or electronic.

15 years ago we pulled a 3408 out of a 85 359 extended hood and installed a 6TS 3406 550 hp. We used a harness out of wreck and it was somewhat of a challenge but
it worked and worked well. I don't want to do that again though. Had to find a radiator and CAC plus
a different front crossmember IIRC from a 1986 model 359.

Truck Shop

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I had a mechanical N that I put iron pistons in, 525 turbo, reflowed the injectors 20cc more or to about to 250cc total gave the pump some tweaks. It would pass uphill loaded, empty trucks, period.

Really wish I kept that engine. Ran very cool even on a 90+ day. Never had to watch the pyro, started good, sounded good. Truck was heavy and rotten and I got offered a great price for it. Truck shop is right. The new happy owner said it would outpull all the stock 550 electronic engines. That is is a big deal for a mechanical engine.

Last edited:

crane operator

I've done a couple motor swaps, and you will spend more than the $8,500. I've swapped two 3208's for 8.3 cummins in a couple crane's, and its really time consuming. It's not impossible, just a lot of fab work and that takes a lot of time. A full donor truck would make a big difference, but it sounds like all you have is a engine.

Just for example of things that took time. New front and rear motor mounts, new throttle linkage, New power steering location (lines), change air compressor location (line change). Alternator and starter changed location, so new wiring from batteries and to cab. New radiator hoses, may have to have radiator reworked with additional water ports. Intake piping, exhaust routing. I would change clutch while you are there.

Every time you change location of something (air comp, power steering, starter), you end up spending 1/2 a day moving everything to fit, and getting lines. In the cranes, just the throttle linkage is a all day affair. And it all added up.

The first engine swap took about 5 weeks from the time the engine went down, until I was back running again (part time/ spare time work on it). The second swap was just like the first, and we had all the parts we needed when we started and it was a week start to finish. Not 5-8hour days, but close.

The truck swap will be easier than the crane I did, just because the access is better, but I'd figure on it taking week or two.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Well, I think I am going to skip the swap.
I may just bail on the truck repair period as it is just an old 5 axle T800 anyway.
It is a 1990 model.

dieseldog5.9

N14 is a great engine, I would sell the 3406, use the profit to build the N14, the post wasn't specific about why the engine was "bad" a damaged block would require replacement. Post in classifieds a 3406 trade toward an n14, depending on which 3406 it is people want them.