• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swampskvator

Jeff D.

I saw this machine parked at an area construction co., and thought it was pretty neat, so I grabbed some pics.

I'm not sure what its correct name would be, so I'm calling it a "swampskvator":wink2

Attachments

• swampskvator 001 (Small).jpg
    swampskvator 001 (Small).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,493
  • swampskvator 003 (Small).jpg
    swampskvator 003 (Small).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,504

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I think it is for working in soft areas I'am pretty sure the machine floats. Its kinda limited to digging from the side and the way the tracks look it could get stuck easy it must be a SOB to get on a lowbed.

MetalDragon_boy

Occupation
Work for the Swedish pharmacy
A "muddy soil excavator" or "pontoon excavator" is what I have read that they are called.

Never seen one made of a CAT machine. Only Komatsu. Great pics and thanks for sharing!

MetalDragon_boy

Occupation
Work for the Swedish pharmacy
I think it is for working in soft areas I'am pretty sure the machine floats. Its kinda limited to digging from the side and the way the tracks look it could get stuck easy it must be a SOB to get on a lowbed.

Yes the machine can float. It is great to use when digging on river beds. Or in swamps.

Jeff D.

I saw this machine was being used when they put the new entrance to our Air Guard base in. It was across a pretty swampy area. I wish I could've got some pics of it in action.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I've always seen these listed as amphibious excavators. They float. The state of TN has one that is used to keep some of the lowland rivers cleared. There is also a local contractor that has a Cat 315 version. These things are very wide and look like a pain to move.

See Frogco Amphibious Eqpt or Wilco Marsh Buggies for more info.

Lashlander

They made an island out in the Beufort Sea, north of Prudhoe Bay. They used these to bury a pipeline under the Sea in case they broke though the ice.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Good pics Lashlander. I always enjoy the out of the ordinary equipment. :yup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Here's a little one:

little float.jpg

little float (2).jpg

little float (3).jpg

It doesn't seem that you could dig very deep.

I found um here.

Truckie

Those machines are pretty cool. Definitely different looking.
I never saw one in person, just in pictures and saw one working on a t v program once.

Dr. Ernie

I can not see thoes units holding up well on hard ground, I bet rock and stumps would tear up the tracks. They would be better than working on mats.