• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SURVIVOR

crane operator

Those back mast with the cylinder and cables for boom up and down has always made my head hurt looking at them. I've never run one, but they sure look strange.

Plate says 00 on it, so somebody had her on the road in the last 20 years. Shouldn't be any bad electronics keeping it from working. Get some fresh fuel in it and start making smoke!

Toolslinger

So H5 that managed to loose the original counterweight I guess? It sure would be nice to have that longer boom compared to my H3... Is that the jib as well I see peeking out from behind the boom?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
For me to keep mine for 43 years now you know they're a thing of beauty. Of course there is that "only a mother could love" thing too.....

Natman

Yup, nothing like looking at a dog's rear end while going down the road. I do it about every day.

skyking1

So H5 that managed to loose the original counterweight I guess? It sure would be nice to have that longer boom compared to my H3... Is that the jib as well I see peeking out from behind the boom?
Very cool! Now we need pictures of your H3 setup. Yes that looks to be a jib too. Quite the crane IMO.

Toolslinger

Very cool! Now we need pictures of your H3 setup. Yes that looks to be a jib too. Quite the crane IMO.
We've done this already... :)

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/bucyrus-h3.79342/#post-920293

Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to get back to it since 2020. Lots of medical issues with my folks, and now dealing with the estate. I'll get back to it this summer hopefully. At least get it started, and run through all the movements to keep things lubed.

skyking1

Toolslinger

Those back mast with the cylinder and cables for boom up and down has always made my head hurt looking at them. I've never run one, but they sure look strange.
I should add, that the gantry setup doesn't do boom up/down. That's handled by a regular cylinder under the boom, the gantry is cable up/down.
No argument though, it still looks weird.