• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

surge brakes vs electric brakes

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
One thing I'm not sure of , do electric brakes work in reverse ? The ones I have seen could not as the magnet that creates the drag on the drum is on a bell crank lever that can only move forward to expand the shoes . Is there a type that has a lever that can move fore and aft ?
I haven't had any experience with the remote brake controllers. I know there was one available to the rental market that mounted on the trailer, then the controller plugged into the cigarette lighter and wirelessly transmitted to the actuator.

But- In reverse...! Had to check that one myself. I know for years Dexter told you to manually activate your brakes in reverse to adjust the shoes. Today, I had my 30' GN hooked up to my 1 ton with a Tekonsha prodigy. Pulled to the top of the driveway hill, and let her roll downhill in reverse. Hit the brake pedal, the Prodigy activated, and applied proportional power to the trailer. And the 10K axles most definitely were braking :) So that question is answered anyway.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Quick question- Is there a market for the system with a trailer mounted controller? We've never stocked such, but if we're missing a demand we'd sure look at it.

LonestarCobra

Go with the electric ones, you will be better off. The other option you didnt mention is the vacuum over hydraulic brakes. I run them on my cattle trailers and flatbeds I pull with my pickups. They work very good in both directions. You may have no interest in them, but I thought I would mention them.