• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sunk and frozen

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
What would a pro do to pull this skid out of the ice?

The neighbors sunk it about 10 days ago and are working on it today. DIY operators.

I swore off helping because of liability. I imagine that my EX100 could pick the rear end, if the ice is safe enough. So I'm tempted to be a good neighbor. But I'm not insured for this job.

Attachments

• IMG_20240101_152502328_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240101_152502328_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20240101_152310915_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240101_152310915_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 127

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I think if you try picking it from on the ice you will end up in the lake with it.
Someone tried that here and ended up with 3 machines sunk.
Depends how far out it is. If close to shore a good size tow truck will pull it if you can cut the ice and free it.
Other option is a steel frame on the ice to act as a fulcrum point while winching.

Welder Dave

If water got into the engine it might be scrap. If you're thinking of pulling it out because it's a possible replacement for your snowblower, I'd do a thorough inspection including taking things apart. The chain cases could be full of water as could the hyd. and fuel tanks. It should have been pulled out ASAP not left half submerged for 10 days.

Truck Shop

attach cables to area of loader arm pivots, it's less than 1/3 covered, just pull the winch up
tight and let it set for a bit like 30 minutes under tension then add a little more tension the
ice mud will fracture. but let someone with correct equipment go after it.

Welder Dave

Looks like a lake or big pond in the background. It's better if it's mostly water it's stuck in. The ice all around it can be broken up. If it was frozen in soupy mud would probably have to thaw everything out before it could be extracted. That's what I had to do when my track loader broke through the frozen crust on some soupy loam. Mud was packed in the tracks and froze. Took all a D5H could pull to get it out. Once out put a tarp over it and ran a torpedo heater for about 9 hours along with a Tiger torch around the sprockets trying to thaw it out so it would move on its own.

Welder Dave

attach cables to area of loader arm pivots, it's less than 1/3 covered, just pull the winch up
tight and let it set for a bit like 30 minutes under tension then add a little more tension the
ice mud will fracture. but let someone with correct equipment go after it.
It would have been a good idea to put some cables on it right away to keep it from sinking further.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Well, another day spent with no success on their part.
Yep, the first day stuck would have been a fairly easy extraction and the day to spend a few dollars for help.
What happened was the first day they had a pickup with a snow plow who fell through but got out.
Then the skidsteer with blower was brought in and got into the overflow and was stuck.
A pickup tried to pull him out and got stuck in the weak ice. Another pickup was brought in and managed to get both pickups out, but they left the machine with it's ass in the mucky water where it kept sinking.
Then temps dropped to -20⁰ for several days here and is warmer now, maybe 15⁰ which helps for safe travels on the lake.
I couldn't say what they are doing all day but they have run chainsaws and overflow came back into around the skidsteer.
I'm not offering... Too much risk.
@Welder Dave I guess that you didn't let your track loader sit in the water for long!

Welder Dave

Mine wasn't in water thankfully just really wet loam. It was only sunk to the belly pan but it had to stay there for a few days until I could get a Cat over to pull it out. It got pretty cold after it got stuck and the tracks were packed with frozen wet loam. It had to be dragged out but thankfully I could lift up the back with the backhoe. Otherwise probably would have had to get a bigger machine than a D5M to pull it out. Took a long time to thaw it out so the tracks would turn. It was good that I could pick up each side off the ground to try and get the tracks moving.

Shimmy1

Pro move would have had a wrecker coming the moment it hit the water Sorting other options while waiting
Leaving it freeze in for 10 days wouldn't evoke any neighborly feelings for me

My thoughts EXACTLY. Why in the **** did they wait ten days for it to freeze in good and solid ?? Gonna need 50k+ of pull and an excavator to dig around it to get it out now.....