• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Suggestions needed for wheeled SSL for farm.

Mark13

A family friends farm that I help at sometimes is in need of a new/new to them skid steer in the 2000-2500lb range. They had a 05 or 06 Gehl 5640 that worked pretty well for them as far as size goes. Mechanically it was a problem child most of it's life and burned while picking up bales a couple days ago so the hunt is on for a replacement. Whatever they get needs to be reliable, used 3-4hrs a day minimum for 365 days a year. It will probably be kept for a minimum of 5,000hrs. (The Gehl had 6850hrs on it and their 753 Bobcat has 7450hrs and is still doing pretty well) Maintenance is so so, could be better so a high maintenance machine won't do.

I've suggest a Case 440 S3, a Bobcat S220 and a Bobcat S250 as machines they should look into. I have not had the chance to run any of the newer M series Bobcat machines or the new series of Case machines. I'd like them to demo a S570/590/630 and SR220 or SR250 as well before buying anything.

They don't need a ton of options. 2 speed, heated cab, and hyd. quick attach would be about all. Anything fancier then that is just asking to get broken by some of the employee's.

Is there any other machines that seem like they would fit the bill?

Digdeep

CAT 252B3or CAT 262C might be worth looking at. I just got a flier that says they're offering 0% for 60 months right now.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Case is offering 0% for 60 months as well. I would call CAT, Bobcat and CASE and have them drop a demo machine out and see which one works best for the application. I would try and either demo all radial lifts or all vertical lifts whichever you think fits the application the best.

Mark13

I passed the word on and will see if anything becomes of it. I'd imagine they will be making a decision pretty quick since it's hay season and they're down the bigger machine that they use in the field to load trucks with.

Last edited:

durallymax

x2 on 262c but they may not like controls. Demo the BC and Case as well as Cat and decide.

Mark13

I guess all of our suggestions went to deaf ears. Several of us brought up the idea for demo machines, had model numbers, etc. The farm owner decided upon buying the loaner 5640 that was brought out. I have not seen it yet, all I know is it's a newer one with the yanmar motor. I'm not sure of what options, new/used, etc. Guess old habits are hard to break with some.

durallymax

I guess all of our suggestions went to deaf ears. Several of us brought up the idea for demo machines, had model numbers, etc. The farm owner decided upon buying the loaner 5640 that was brought out. I have not seen it yet, all I know is it's a newer one with the yanmar motor. I'm not sure of what options, new/used, etc. Guess old habits are hard to break with some.

Thats the way some farmers are. Many are stubborn.

Our salesman stopped at an area farm to introduce himself, the guy asked if he was giving him a good deal because he didn't want to have to call any other salesman. Didn't care that he was going to ISO controls in teh Cat versus the NH foot controls or anything, just preferred to not have to deal with salesman. Now a less honest salesman could've easily taken advantage of the guy though unfortunatly.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Thats the way some farmers are. Many are stubborn.

Our salesman stopped at an area farm to introduce himself, the guy asked if he was giving him a good deal because he didn't want to have to call any other salesman. Didn't care that he was going to ISO controls in teh Cat versus the NH foot controls or anything, just preferred to not have to deal with salesman. Now a less honest salesman could've easily taken advantage of the guy though unfortunatly.

Kind of funny how that works isn't it. When we purchased our new machines we called BC & Cat and said no horseplay no back and forth. 1 time numbers on new machines, we went CAT after we felt that BC didn't understand that we did not want to negotiate. They were almost 10k higher than CAT. Imagine that.

durallymax

Kind of funny how that works isn't it. When we purchased our new machines we called BC & Cat and said no horseplay no back and forth. 1 time numbers on new machines, we went CAT after we felt that BC didn't understand that we did not want to negotiate. They were almost 10k higher than CAT. Imagine that.

Same happened with us, BC didn't take me seriously and didn't seem to want the business. After we bought Cat then they did. The are priced higher than Cat here as well. Deere is getting pricey, local guy price a 326E at 53k, he said no way and bought the cat for more than 10k less.

durallymax

What CAT did you guys go with?

We bought 3 last year. Two new 242B3s and a year old 262C with 180hrs on it. Traded the 262C in August for a new 262C2 due to the incentives they had. Have over 1000hrs on all of them now. Had 600 on the 262C when we trade it, over 1000 on the newer 262C2, the new control update has also helped a lot and people don't avoid it as much anymore.

Next time around though we wont be getting any 242s. 226B3 for the barn and a 246C2 for feeding, everybody hates the 242 visibility. If they still have these series by that time that is.