• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sugar beets

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
The field across the road from me was put into sugar beets this year. There is only one farmer in the area that does them, most are grown north of me.
They moved in equipment yesterday, started harvesting this am. Seems early for harvest, but it's been very dry, the dairy guys are chopping corn already.

They did the headlands this am, had already quit by the time I got there.

Ed

Attachments

• b1a.JPG
    b1a.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,303
  • b2a.JPG
    b2a.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 1,465
  • b3a.JPG
    b3a.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,619

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
Oh yes beets..we put in 1100 acres we too will be starting soon...

Turbo21835

Bumpsteer, the early harvest has nothing to do with the weather. It all has to do with plant capacity. A few years back, when both of the major sugar companies combined operations, they stopped using one of the major plants for production. This lead to a big savings without redundant operations. The past few years, the three remaining plants have not been able to keep up, and they experience loss due to rot in the pile.

So the solution to the current dilema is to open the plant early. The plants opened this morning. They are currently accepting enough beets for a days production, that way they dont need to try and keep stock piles cool.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
That explains why Nick only took 1 gravel train load today. Thanks for the explanation. The Sugar Beet industry is a whole different ballgame than what I'm used to seeing.

FWIW, in the past Nick had pretty much his sold beets for deer feed, not sugar, that changed big-time since the baiting ban. He puts about 500 acres in beets out of 5000 total.

Ed

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
No idea what Nick gets. If I see him, I'll ask.
Harvest has been on hold, we haven't had much rain in the last 2 months, probably 1/2" at best. The ground is to hard for the puller, everything is sitting until we get some rain.
Corn has already "dropped", beans are turning, going to be a messed up harvest year.

Ed

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Well....they are still working on the same field. Most of what has been harvested is going for deer bait.
They brought in another beet cart tonight, going to try to finish up this field tomorrow. The remainder of the field will be going for sugar.

Ed

Attachments

• b1.JPG
    b1.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • b2.JPG
    b2.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,078
  • b3.JPG
    b3.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,072