• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sudden Dresser TD7 steering issue

Dozerpusher

Hey guys, I used my machine all day Saturday worked great then parked it. Came back Sunday morning and the left track will not lock up to steer the machine, right track works perfectly. Only other thing I noticed the brake pedal jumps forward when I try to pull the left steering lever. Also the filter minder for trans filter is in the red now. Not sure if it need a brake adjustment or what?

I last adjusted the outer by the tracks around June and same with inner adjustment in the back of machine where clutches are. How often should I do this?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not the mechanic you are looking for I have a TD7G, Friends have 2 TD7E. Guy in Northern Vt with TD7G very knowledgeable.
I have manuals for TD7G, TD8G & loader versions of each.

Dozerpusher

I tried to adjust the outer lock nut and bolt. No change at all. I’m thinking it’s the steering valve body Or actuator. It drives great. Any other information or help? How hard is it to replace the brake cylinder/actuator?

barkoguru

Occupation
Owner heavy equipment repair
So my td7 did something similar, went from working to not, I found a broken spring in the steering valve under the seat, in my case I could feel something wasn’t quite right in one of the levers, pulled the valve and disassembled, found the broken outer spring, measured and a trip to a good hardware store with a good assortment of springs and it’s been working fine, I concluded that the broken spring was binding the spool from moving far enough to put pressure to the steering cylinder.878B5EC3-27BD-474D-A00B-1B7A0DF60763.jpeg187C6EA9-1CDE-4DF5-B9BA-E69321753975.jpeg

Last edited:

Dozerpusher

So my td7 did something similar, went from working to not, I found a broken spring in the steering valve under the seat, in my case I could feel something wasn’t quite right in one of the levers, pulled the valve and disassembled, found the broken outer spring, measured and a trip to a good hardware store with a good assortment of springs and it’s been working fine, I concluded that the broken spring was binding the spool from moving far enough to put pressure to the steering cylinder.View attachment 307174View attachment 307175
I feel like that could be it, the lever does not feel as stiff or consistent.

barkoguru

Occupation
Owner heavy equipment repair
Not that bad of a job to check it, the plugs are on the bottom so you need to pull it out to get at them and not lose anything, I went ahead and put new o rings on the spools while it was out, everything came out of a universal o ring kit I keep on the truck.