• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

STX 435 + Cat 463 ?

stovepipe699

Hello everyone, here's my first thread. I'm looking at getting a 463 rebuilt and converted to hydraulics. It's going to be used for making/cleaning field drains on the farm, and will be pulled by a 4WD or Quadtrak. The Cat 70 we have now is pretty small for these machines, will the 463 be a good match? Thanks.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I pulled one in the old days with a D8H in good clay. It was a good match for that tractor and Cat did make that scraper for that tractor. How many HP are you working with? What part of Manitoba re you in?

stovepipe699

tripper_174, I have a 535 hp Quadtrak and a 435 hp on 710R42 rubber. I'm North of Winnipeg, a little place called Stead. Heavy clay soil. Where do you live? Thanks for responding, Rob
Oh, what HP is a D8H, and when were they built?

Last edited:

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Pull a Cat 80's here with a D8H's with 300 HP spacer plate engine. Great match up. Same with D7Gs' and Cat 70's. Great match.

Just no work any where this year.

RKO

Hello everyone, here's my first thread. I'm looking at getting a 463 rebuilt and converted to hydraulics. It's going to be used for making/cleaning field drains on the farm, and will be pulled by a 4WD or Quadtrak. The Cat 70 we have now is pretty small for these machines, will the 463 be a good match? Thanks.

If the soil is heavy or wet conditions a 463 might be a load. A 435 would be a little smaller scraper and a better match.
I have a 463 and don't pull load if often with my Quad track. I usually top load it or push load it. Unless the conditions are right it a 463 could be a load. I work in heavy/wet clay most of the time.
I have a 435 and the Quad track will pull it fine. I can move more dirt with the 435 in a hour than the 463 because of the extra time/labor to load the 463.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Beg to differ with you Dpete. Late late D8h's have spacer plate engine. Got one here serial 46a31437 with it.

stovepipe699

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess crawlers have more traction. If I recall corectly, my quad is over 50 000 lbs. The metal tracks on a D8 must help a lot, but I wonder what they weigh? The shop converting the 463scraper told me they usually reduce the blade angle from 45 to 35' to make them easier to load, now I know why. Or maybe I'll just end up with a 435... Any other ideas?

Last edited:

RolyD8k

Occupation
farmer & earthmoving contractor
Beg to differ with you Dpete. Late late D8h's have spacer plate engine. Got one here serial 46a31437 with it.

Beg to differ with you Greg,Dpete is spot on,and with the early UK D8k non spacer plate up to 66v2999, 66v3000 up is with spacer plate,we run 6 of em.
RB

ben46a

If your D8H has a spacer it was transplanted in. Spacers werent used until early on in the D8Ks.

As for the 463, I think youd want a minimum of 600 hp in an Agricultural tractor to handle it. A 435 would be a better suit.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Do any of the manufacturers even build ag tractor with 600 HP?

stovepipe699

When we bought it last winter, 535 was the largest Case IH available here. I think there was a 575 Challenger, but we didn't want a 2 track machine again. And the 510 hp version I demo'd seemed overrated, it couldn't outpull my old 9400T(425 hp).

SE-Ia Cowman

There is a small mfg company in Hudson Iowa called Holmes Welding that has been converting 611 motor scrapers to dolly wheel scrapers We got one last week and it is a nice outfitt. I guess the 611 was a shortlived idea that cat had for the small contractors and most of them have been converted to water wagons leaving a nice pan for converting. It weighs in at 32800 and works great behind a 6R think they were rated at 11yd struck and 16 heaped could add some greedly boards and have a nice replacment for 435. They are new enough that parts are still avalible. They have some other products that are pretty neat some pull type 30 ton dump wagons ejecton bodys and box rollers. They also had a cat 660 motor scraper cut up and mounted with a fith wheel to a cat 740 artic for PCI looked pretty cool. The website is www.holmeswelding.com