• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck Track Adjuster Komatsu D31P-16

FurakawaMatt

Do not have a hot water pressure washer. I do have a cold water one and I may see what it does though I have swabbed out the rust with rags and penetrating oil. I figured to try with a propane torch and heat it very slowly. I tried forcing grease earlier today and I could hear the piston shift slightly. Unfortunately I bent the pump arm of the grease gun and the other one I have is not as high pressure. May end up having to buy another grease gun.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Do not have a hot water pressure washer. I do have a cold water one and I may see what it does though I have swabbed out the rust with rags and penetrating oil. I figured to try with a propane torch and heat it very slowly. I tried forcing grease earlier today and I could hear the piston shift slightly. Unfortunately I bent the pump arm of the grease gun and the other one I have is not as high pressure. May end up having to buy another grease gun.

I hear ya...doing the best you can with what you have to work with. :)

FurakawaMatt

Success! Mostly. Got the adjuster to move. Could not get the piston all the way out because of lock ring up against the spring plate. But with the neighbors help (Thank God he stopped by and helped) and sledge hammers, tractor and a come along was able to retract and get the tracks back on. The tensioner now works to tighten the tracks. If it leaks in the future at least I have it so the thing can be worked on (by paying someone else!!).

Got the cylinder pin out by hooking to the tractor and pulling while pounding the other end with the sledge. As you can see in the picture it was totally rusted in. Will be taking the angle cylinder to the repair shop this week for repair.

Thanks ATCOEQUIP for all your technical knowledge and assistance. :drinkup

Attachments

• P8080001.jpg
    P8080001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 573
  • P8080002.jpg
    P8080002.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 625
  • P8080003.jpg
    P8080003.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 623

FurakawaMatt

After getting the hydraulic angle cylinder rebuilt and back installed on dozer this Wednesday, I gave the thing a work out. After three hours of pushing rocks up a steep slope both sideways dozing and up and down the tracks stayed tight. Found another problem however that I am detailing in a new topic.

Fix one thing, find another. :mad:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yup, I knew that pin would be siezed by rust. Glad to see ya got it out. You did use Never Sieze when you put it back together, no? :)

FurakawaMatt

Yup, I knew that pin would be siezed by rust. Glad to see ya got it out. You did use Never Sieze when you put it back together, no? :)
Yes. And it was no fun getting it in though it slid easily when not in the dozer bracket. I noted that few other hydraulic cylinder pins are probably seized up since they do not accept grease. Will have to pull and clean them at some point.

Thanks again for your advice. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes. And it was no fun getting it in though it slid easily when not in the dozer bracket. I noted that few other hydraulic cylinder pins are probably seized up since they do not accept grease. Will have to pull and clean them at some point.

Thanks again for your advice. :)

My pleasure bro...my pleasure. :cool:

monkey

great thread, getting ready to do some undercarriage work on my 31, not looking forward to it :(

FurakawaMatt

Depends on what you need to get done, monkey. Happy to provide any assistance though I know next to nothing compared to the real heavy equipment mechanics. :)

What year is your D31?

monkey

not sure, serial number is in the 2600 range

it was a grey machine, had the swamp pads and all the rust and pitting that comes with them.

Hated the swamp pads, made it tough to clean....everytime you rolled it forward all the junk fell out of the bottom of the pads and right back into the ones on the ground. Swapped them out for single grousers. Think it floats better with the flat shoes anyway......well I did sink it about 2 weeks ago :Banghead :cussing one of those end of the day, "just one more pass" :laugh