• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck pinion nut. SOS

dcb05

So I'm working on a jcb midi cx and the front axle started leaking from the pinion seal and I watched a generic YouTube video and saw that really easy so I went ahead and started the job. First thing I didn't see that it was a staked nut and second who ever installed it punched it down so it was impossible to get a chisel, flathead, or round headed punch behind. So now I'm just using a die grinder and carefully trying to grind out the stake and I just wanted to see if there was an easier method. I have the stake mostly removed and I'm now worried that the nut is seized as well as the 1/2 impact I have won't even budge it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm in a very shitty situation right now.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
What do you mean by a "staked nut"? Are you referring to a castellated nut with a cotter pin?

What size is this nut? Pinion nuts are the sort of things that get beyond a 1/2 impact fairly quick.

Don't get me started on Youtube videos . . . :cool:

Delmer

If this is a staked nut where the "flange" is thin enough to deform into the lock, then the metal is thin enough to push back out with an appropriately ground pry bar or chisel. Then use a medium size hammer and a smaller hammer, hold the larger one tight to one side of the nut, smack the opposite flat of the nut with the smaller hammer a few times, move around to each flat of the nut, if it still won't turn, go around hitting each flat again.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
A pic would really help here. Personally, I am thinking a larger breaker bar. I have seen some workers zip off staked axle nuts without unstaking. I can only imagine you need more force if it isnt budging.

mekanik

Something like in the picture below? I wouldn't be surprised if Loctite was used as well.
Any play in the pinion bearings?
Elu4kp3.jpg

dcb05

What do you mean by a "staked nut"? Are you referring to a castellated nut with a cotter pin?

What size is this nut? Pinion nuts are the sort of things that get beyond a 1/2 impact fairly quick.

Don't get me started on Youtube videos . . . :cool:
the picture that mekanik put is exactly what it is, its an 1 1/4 nut and is well really tight, I've heard some people can zip these right off without unstaking it which leads me to believe either someone before me cross threaded it or went crazy with loctite. i have a 3/4 impact I can borrow so thats the next step. but for the youtube video it showed the bare basics and the 1/2 impact zipped the nut right off so just my luck. sorry for the late response and thanks for responding quickly.

Cliffy

What caused the leak, if it has movement you have bigger issues normally.
Warm it up to melt loctite and try again.
If that doesn’t work, put pipe on t-bar, place against chassis and rock machine.
Or just borrow a 3/4 and spin it off.
I mark the pinion, flange and nut so it all goes back together the same so the preload doesn’t change.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
You said the stake is all gone. Did the nut move at all? If so, work it back and forth.

Does this diff have a collapsible spacer?

dcb05

What caused the leak, if it has movement you have bigger issues normally.
Warm it up to melt loctite and try again.
If that doesn’t work, put pipe on t-bar, place against chassis and rock machine.
Or just borrow a 3/4 and spin it off.
I mark the pinion, flange and nut so it all goes back together the same so the preload doesn’t change.
Not 100% sure. It lives a tough life so could be anything. I just know that it has a good leak when warmed up. And I when I checked the diff to add more fluid it was down 2-4". There isn't any movement which I find odd, could be heat? I'm very familiar with 6.0 power strokes and they eat a seal in the hpo system occasionally. And yeah I already marked it out for when I spin it off.

dcb05

You said the stake is all gone. Did the nut move at all? If so, work it back and forth.

Does this diff have a collapsible spacer?
Nut didn't budge, and I have tried going back and forth. I'll have the impact by the end of the week. And yeah it does have a collapsible spacer