• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck in the mud

Mccahilldozing

Occupation
Sheriff's Sergeant
My operator got my D8k stuck in the mud today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 4,032
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I would say drop ripper and the blade, get the track off the ground, and chunk some timber under it. But...where's the blade?

Mccahilldozing

Occupation
Sheriff's Sergeant
We have a C-frame with a tree digger on the front. We still run 8ks out here in the AG fields. Air pollution is easier on the AG stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 2,224

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Weld some new grouser bars on that old machine and this will probably never happen again in those conditions.

BIGIRONMAN9

Occupation
Owner of West Coast Ripping
stuck deep 4.jpg
I think i have one up on you. We where ripping this job for a farmer that was going to plant walnuts. My operator calls be at 3:30 in the morning and says " I'm stuck and she's sinking". Come to find out there was a old Bentinite pound with 15 ft of topsoil put over it years ago. When the operator was backing up all of a sudden the back end fell through. The Bentinite was still in a liquid state and it was 15 to 18 ft deep. Only thing that saved us was the blade was sitting on the hard topsoil cap. Later i found out the pond was 3 acres. You could see the ground role when we where trying to get it out.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
yeah op, pads like that and you will get stuck going up hill on grass on a rainy day... that machine needs a date with a welder and some grouser stock bad.

Check Break

Next time leave two shanks in the ripper and pull yourself backwards. Is that the same machine with the loose transmission. How did you manage to find the only wet spot within a hundred miles of that orchard.

Check Break

BIGIRONMAN9 said:
We where ripping this job for a farmer that was going to plant walnuts.

I hope you were able to charge that guy for the damage. A guy could end up dead in something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGIRONMAN9

Occupation
You bet i did. Not only the trans. oil but engine oil, radiator had to be cleaned,finals flushed. The sos samples came back good on the trans. oil afterwards. 2 days of cleanup and $5000.00 cost we where back to work. "Just not on that job"

BIGIRONMAN9

Occupation
We where slip plowing at the time.. The center shank is 11ft and it was on the top hole with the drawbar all the way down it was touching the bottom of the pond. Thats the only thing that keep the machine from going the rest of the way under. The blade was holding the front of the machine up on a dirt bench that was floating on top of the Bentinite. So if I tried pulling backwards with the ripper it would have pulled the blade off of the dirt bench and then went all the way under. I got some more gray hair that week.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
big iron, the op was who needed the ripper to get out, you on the other hand needed a magic carpet, or at least another 8 or two and a big excavator.

BIGIRONMAN9

Occupation
lol ya magic carpet would have been nice. As it was it took a 9 with a big winch to get it. We had 2 8s and a jd 9600 and all that did was break cables

Check Break

You did that idiot a big favor but he's probably still pi$$#d at you. I would be worried sh$$less if I owned that parcel. His insurance company is going to deny coverage is someone is injured in that trap. I'll bet it's still there, covered over, unfenced and not posted. Sounds like a mud pit from an old drilling operation. Time to rewrite your contract to cover damages from loss of machinery in mud pits.

BIGIRONMAN9

Occupation
Your right... It's a 3 acre pond of old drilling mud covered with a 12 ft dirt cap over the top of it still unfenced and not posted. The pond had bentinite last put in it some 15 years ago. At that time it was thought to be 20 ft deep. Then 10 years ago the dirt cap was out over it. I'm always very careful about the USA underground reports to protect me from gas lines,fiber optic,etc,etc but how do you see something like this coming.