• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck hydraulic return filter

Columbo

I’m servicing the hydraulic return filter on a Cat 311B, S/N 8GR00401. I don’t know when the last time this filter was serviced. Following the service instructions I have released any pressure in the tank, removed the filter cover and released the pressure in the filter canister. Next you’re supposed to pull in the canister handle and rotate to align the retaining tab with the slot. Sounds easy?! I cannot get the canister to rise despite pulling on the handle. I’ve tried a few light taps to free it up and a gentle pry up on the handle- no luck. Am I missing something or any other tricks to try? Any thoughts @ahart or @Nige ? IMG_1694.jpeg

Columbo

I can get it to rotate about 1/4” in each direction while applying maximum hand force to the handle.

heymccall

On several, I've had to prybar up the handle to set it for rotate. On others, I've just pulled it up by hand.

As an aside, you simply pull the retaining ring, pop the lid, and swap the element. I prefer to pull the full can, but, lately, I've begun having to reseal the can because the outer cavity is filled up.

And, not very long ago, I had one that had sucked its side in, and it required a chainfall to pull it out.

But, again, its not uncommon to have to use a lever to pop up the cannister.