• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck brake drums

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
I have an older tri axel trailer that was used to haul a 580 CK case backhoe. Haven't got a clue of the axel manufacturer. They appear to be really heavy duty axels. The trailer sat for quite awhile because I only used the hoe on my property. The brake drums are stuck to the shoes. Is there any way to free them up or is it axel buying time?

Delmer

Pictures would help. They'll come off one way or another, depends on how much work it's worth to you.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Have you tried taking the bearing off or at least loosing them and shaking the pi** out of the wheel/drum?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Being old likely no spring cans, if is single chambers take a line loose with air to trailer, see if there is air at the chamber.

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
The brakes are electric. I have Pounded on drums with a small, maybe 4 pound hammer. I was thinking too big and too hard a hit might break the drums.
I will try backing off the bearings and a little harder hits. I am interested in the one way or another method. Currently I have one side of this trailer jacked up and off the ground .

This trailer could have been built back in the 60's. The wheels look to be what was on house trailers back then. A lot of small equipment trailers around here back then had the same type axels.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Check for power applied on brakes as well, some wiring by others leaves little to imagination. As to electric, would have to remove hubs to see if swing arm for puck is free or rusted in place.

uptight excavating

Been there, Done that, Don't wanna sound like a smart azz but the brake shoes are delaminating and swelling up with rust. Had to remove the axle nut, pry on the drum against the backing plate while pounding the crap out of the drum . Likely will crack a drum or two but thats good as it will allow it to expand and slide off of the shoes.

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
Been there, Done that, Don't wanna sound like a smart azz but the brake shoes are delaminating and swelling up with rust. Had to remove the axle nut, pry on the drum against the backing plate while pounding the crap out of the drum . Likely will crack a drum or two but thats good as it will allow it to expand and slide off of the shoes.
This has been sitting maybe long enough so the shoes are swelled up so tight they won't free up without breaking.

Old Doug

I have a stuck brake on the rear of a chevy c60 that i hauled for a friend . I would like to get it free so it would be easy to move around . I dont care about the shoes so i am going to try to spray them with something.

Attachments

• IMG_20230913_081758.jpg
    IMG_20230913_081758.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 6

56wrench

Sometimes if you can back off the star-wheel adjuster first, and then hammer on the drum, it will help to free the shoes from the drum. If the adjuster is seized(like most are) then it will be more difficult. Some heat all the way around the drum won’t hurt. Drums are made to handle some heat- otherwise they wouldn’t last very long in the real world

Jonas302

If your thinking about putting it back on the road if its worth that The new axles are a great idea those old wheels and tires are terrible probably wont find any parts for the brakes

if you just need it to move flip it over torch out star wheel adjusters and go from there

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Spoke to my tire guy here, 14.5s are NLA from his distributors, not sure where the Mobeel House people are getting them from. Best choice is either re-end the axles, or replace with a later breed of Electric COMPLETE axles

Old Doug

Spoke to my tire guy here, 14.5s are NLA from his distributors, not sure where the Mobeel House people are getting them from. Best choice is either re-end the axles, or replace with a later breed of Electric COMPLETE axles
They had some at the shop i worked out of a week ago . I will ask them when i am there. I have a trailer that has them i dont use a lot but my brother gave me a set of axles that did have them that he bought new hubs for to convert them to 8 hole wheels .

Old Doug

I was in the warehouse at the tire shop and they had 4 8-14.5 tires the main guy wasnt there to ask if he could get more and they didnt have a price on them ether . My truck brakes came unstuck pretty easy after it sat for awhile so i was able to move it out of the way.

Old Doug

They said they could get some sizes of 14.5 no problem but had to look harder for others . The price was around $70.00