• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stripping a D6H for shipping to remote alaska

weeder57

Occupation
A&P
Yeah I saw that d6d pop up on craigslist, first appearance it does look like a good machine, but for my purpose I really need push arms. I have had good luck with d3s and little case 6 ways but the larger ones seem to crack and rip the centers off eventually. That and hydraulic lines. I was told by a guy yesterday that a d6r frame by itself they picked up with a 10k capacity lift, so the frame for sure must weight less than that.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
You guys might be looking at this all the wrong way , is the trip upstream or downstream ? It would be easy enough to build two pontoons , one for either side . A beam across the top of the blade and another connected to a ripper tool bar so the pontoons can be lifted to walk over shallows . Calculation for pontoon size is easy , allow on cubic litre of air per KG of weight of both dozer and pontoons and then some for spare .

chidog

It would be nice to see a map of the route, how deep are the crossings? Maybe a larger high drive dozer would cross, during the right time of the year?

weeder57

Occupation
A&P
Downriver 20 miles, then upriver 15 roughly. River is anywhere from a foot up to 50 feet deep. On average the main channel is about 15 to 35 feet deep depending on speed. The pontoon idea I thought of, but the same amount of effort could be put into tear down and re assembly or fighting it in the winter. Im going to go fly the route again and see just how hard a winter walk will be, definately would have to be pumping water onto the ice in a few crossings to be safe.

absoluteyukon

Occupation
Fixin' junk.
I believe that your time and money would be well spent in exploring the "ice road" option. I can certainly speak to longer, colder winters as of late (in my neck of the woods at least), which would be essential for the walk. With enough drilling, flooding and freezing you could walk that girl anywhere she needed to go, provided you had a good ol' fashioned north of 60 winter on your side. I can certainly forsee environmental permitting being an issue; God forbid your horrible yellow machine disrupt irreplaceable aquatic icing grounds... oh, the horror! Perhaps forgiveness trumps permission?