1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Stripped T bolt on tank strap ... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by RenoHuskerDu, Dec 21, 2021.

1. RenoHuskerDu

RenoHuskerDu Senior Member

I know straps are expensive. Mine are not rusted out, but one T bolt is stripped. I was thinking about just cutting it off and welding on a new bolt.

Jonas302 likes this.
  2. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Done that before right wrong or indifferent but the new ones where stainless

3. RenoHuskerDu

Mine are not stainless. Easy to weld, no rust in Central TX

4. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

weld on new bolt if you can or unfold strap if you can insert bolt and weld back up

Maybe its just stripped right where it tightens up if there was enough room to put a spacer,washers to get back to strong unused threads

Tags likes this.
  5. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

The new tee bolts where stainless tho the straps should have been to and the whole rest of the truck too.

6. shortbox

shortbox New Member

I used a larger nut as a spacer then put on the correct one. Got the nut onto better threads

RenoHuskerDu likes this.
  7. RenoHuskerDu

The problem is getting the old nut off. I'll try putting a load on it and backing it off. But if it's going to booger up the threads on the bolt, all the way out, I'll just cutting disk that nut off. I can chase the threads on the bolt, but they'll be weaker after getting damaged.

8. Jbullfrog

Jbullfrog Well-Known Member

Use a nut splitter and split the nut

RenoHuskerDu likes this.
  9. RenoHuskerDu

I tried to bend the stripped T bolt straight so I could back the stripped nut off until I got to good threads. The bolt snapped as soon as I put some moxie on it with a strong tube. It was a 1/2" bolt.

So I got a 9/16" slab anchor bolt and welded it onto the broken T bolt. Problem fixed without buying a new strap.

Jonas302 likes this.