• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stripped T bolt on tank strap ... any ideas?

RenoHuskerDu

I know straps are expensive. Mine are not rusted out, but one T bolt is stripped. I was thinking about just cutting it off and welding on a new bolt.

Jonas302

weld on new bolt if you can or unfold strap if you can insert bolt and weld back up

Maybe its just stripped right where it tightens up if there was enough room to put a spacer,washers to get back to strong unused threads

Tyler d4c

The new tee bolts where stainless tho the straps should have been to and the whole rest of the truck too.

RenoHuskerDu

I used a larger nut as a spacer then put on the correct one. Got the nut onto better threads

The problem is getting the old nut off. I'll try putting a load on it and backing it off. But if it's going to booger up the threads on the bolt, all the way out, I'll just cutting disk that nut off. I can chase the threads on the bolt, but they'll be weaker after getting damaged.

RenoHuskerDu

I tried to bend the stripped T bolt straight so I could back the stripped nut off until I got to good threads. The bolt snapped as soon as I put some moxie on it with a strong tube. It was a 1/2" bolt.

So I got a 9/16" slab anchor bolt and welded it onto the broken T bolt. Problem fixed without buying a new strap.