• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stringline for storm drain or sanitary sewer

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Anyone still use, or remember using a stringline instead of a pipe laser? My experience with storm drain or sanitary has all been with the laser. But when I was a kid visiting my Dad's job, I remember seeing it done with an offset stringline. They had a gauge they built out of wood, shaped like an upside down letter L, cut to the length of the offset and depth of the cut. IIRC, there was a level attached to the horizontal piece. My memories of it are kind of fuzzy. They already had lasers by then, but they were doing it the old way, so I guess it worked. The pipe runs I saw it used on weren't that deep.

grandpa

Yup.... we ran batter boards with two string lines. A long pole like a hand rail with the offset mark on it. then a plumbob on the end of the pole set to the depth you are digging. Lay the pole across the two lines til level, plumbob marks the center and elevation of the pipe. Jesus its been a long time.

buckfever

I know guys that still use a sting to paint a line on top of the ground where the line is going to go.

Years ago I watched a crew lay sanitary line using a string but they did it different then the way you guys did. They would paint a line on the ground where the pipe has to go then use a story pole and transit to set grade. Once they had a length or two of trench opened up they would gravel the bottom then run the string between the hubs. Then set the pipe using the transit and a plumbob. Talk about a sloooow going process.