• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stray JD 650G transmission pin

puddnhead

New to dozers and the forum ☺️ I got a JD 650G. I drove it up the mountain 2 miles and started fluid changes. It seems to run and move fine.

BUT, I found this on the transmission drain plug magnet. It looks like a pin from a needle bearing. Do you think I should pull the transmission and inspect? I’m not even sure how only one of these needles would get loose? If I just ran it, could I cause more expensive carnage?

Appreciate your time and thoughts!

TO650GH767035
4000 hours

Also including pics of the screen. It seems ok and the fluid looked like AT- not in bad shape.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    980.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    925 KB · Views: 12

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF puddnhead;)!

Is that a complete roller, or is it broken? Can't tell from the picture. The only rollers I can think of off the top of my head that are like that in that transmission are in the countershaft gear and they should be fairly well captured. The specifications for that bearing place it at about 3/4"-1" long. I agree, if one came out, there should be more.

Might be worth draing the transmission and removing the rear cover to have a look.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 5.28.36 AM.png

puddnhead

Thanks mg2361. That pin is in perfect shape. I think you have the right shaft- it seems like it is that thrust bearing. The other ones were too big. I have a endoscope coming. I‘ll let you know what happens. Thanks again for the response ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 2