• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stone 4000 stiff steering

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
As in very hard turning wheel to turn roller?

Does it have seperate pumps for drive and equipment? Or just one pump to operate drive, steer, and vibrate (if it does that)?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
One main pump.:crying

Wait a minute...you missed the other question; "As in wheel hard to turn..." :D

Using one pump to operate all functions, my first guess would be a faulty priority flow divider that divides oil flow to allow operation of steer and other hyd functions at the same time. ;)

special tool

Wait a minute...you missed the other question; "As in wheel hard to turn..." :D

Using one pump to operate all functions, my first guess would be a faulty priority flow divider that divides oil flow to allow operation of steer and other hyd functions at the same time. ;)

Yeah - its hard to turn, especially when stopped.

I was hoping I could fix it with my 10 pound sledge tomorrow....what do you think??

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah - its hard to turn, especially when stopped.

I was hoping I could fix it with my 10 pound sledge tomorrow....what do you think??

Unless it has some weird hyd system like I can't imagine, my first suspect would be a priority flow divider.

What was the reason for pump replacement?

special tool

I don't know - no chance to mess with it today.
Was in the road trying not to get run over by rich people with poor values.
Need to fix it by next week, well don't NEED to, but my arms will be happier.
Could maybe be air bound from new pump, maybe?? Crack the line at the motor?
Watcha think??

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, you only mentioned it has a steering problem, so I assume the drive works fine. If it only has one pump to operate all functions, then the drive working would indicate pump and lines are Ok.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I went to the Stone website to see if we could get any info and, darn it, nothing there. Can't get a hyd schematic at website. :Banghead It would help to have a schematic.

drad12

Occupation
Recovering from a stroke
Worked for a stone dealer. Pump runs steering and vibrator. Priority is in pump. Specs are 4 gpm @ 50 psi & 1.5 @ 500. Also there is a 800 psi relief in steering circuit. If vibrator works I would suspect steering unit/relief. Hope that helps.