• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Step decks pricing

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Am I just seeing the junk out there or are 10-15 year old step decks not able to retain value? Or is it some looming failure point to be concerned of?

My interest being as I get after the W900 and should it work out well for us, I MAY look into purchase of one of these to replace my aged and too light Gooseneck. The 40-45 96" less than 20 year olds with damned near new rubber on grade are really cheap(Under $10K). Even stepping to 48-53 102 are still under $15k in many instances. Seems Michigan spreads, forward slider spreads and beaver tailed are a bit more pricey but not so bad. Fixed standard tandems are low dollar, and oddball triple axle set close to me seems TOO cheap for a 2011 at less than $20k

crane operator

Everyone wants a detach drop deck. or they don't want a tractor trailer at all.

Tandem single drops are still popular by me if they are short, they clear the ground more than a detach, will get into steep spots and down crooked roads. But what I think is going on, is the little guys don't want to mess with or can't afford the license and insurance and all the paperwork with a semi and trailer. So they just take their 1 ton and a gooseneck and whistle through the graveyard.

The bigger guys need the detach for their bigger excavators and dozers and one trailer hauls everything.

The increasing regulations and rules and insurance, are driving guys each direction.

The oilfield has typically been a home for single drop trailers, and its a depressed market right now. So some of that stuff is looking for a home also.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
You are seeing right, I just opted out to not buying one due low ground clearance would of got me stuck where I live.

Tugger2

I have 1964 Peerless single drop tandem and a 2009 Wabash 48' tandem step deck . The Peerless is great for tight spots and the step deck does all my other stuff. Ill take a step deck any day over a highboy as i get older they are just easier to jump up on.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Everyone wants a detach drop deck. or they don't want a tractor trailer at all.

Tandem single drops are still popular by me if they are short, they clear the ground more than a detach, will get into steep spots and down crooked roads. But what I think is going on, is the little guys don't want to mess with or can't afford the license and insurance and all the paperwork with a semi and trailer. So they just take their 1 ton and a gooseneck and whistle through the graveyard.

The bigger guys need the detach for their bigger excavators and dozers and one trailer hauls everything.

The increasing regulations and rules and insurance, are driving guys each direction.

The oilfield has typically been a home for single drop trailers, and its a depressed market right now. So some of that stuff is looking for a home also.

Or they do like we do - hire it out. It's cheaper for our operation to call the lowboy to move a 55K lb excavator from Point A to point B 20 miles away and pay the man $350-400. Every estimate has a mobilization line item to cover not only the lowboy costs but our labor costs for mob day.

Even if I spend $10-15K a year in lowboy charges that's not even a drop in the bucket towards the investment/finance and O&O costs of a lowboy that won't be pulled over by DOT every time it moves.

Different strokes but it works for us.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not looking to Lowboy, just a Drop or Step deck flatbed. Have seen them as low as $9500 OBO on a 2003, had air ride and newer tires, brake blocks showed at least 80% life remaining, had Low Pro 17.5s but decent ground clearance with strap winch rails.

Could pack out most of my AG equipment if needed to Salem MO at BILs place, could also set a 40' Conex if decide to move. My days with HE are pretty well playing down.