• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steering VOLVO L120E

remus

Hello,
The following problem occurs with a VOLVO L120E model front loader:
when turning the steering wheel to the left, the wheels do not turn.
The steering wheel turns very easily, and there is a noise as if it has no hydraulic oil.
It happens less often when making a right turn.
I mention that the charger worked today for about 5 hours, after which the malfunction appeared.
I replaced the valve on the return hose (pos. 31 on the drawing), code VOLVO 11148129 (11172800), believing that the oil does not reach the steering valve in sufficient quantity.
The pressure measured on the steering valve is 100 bars and it drops to 0 and increases to 200 bars when I turn the steering wheel, to the left or to the right
Thanks in advance to those who will offer suggestions regarding this defect.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, let's start simple, what is your cycle time? Bucket empty, flat on the ground. Full throttle, boom up to end of stroke. Should be 5½ to 6 seconds. This will tell us if you have a weak pump. Pump 2 is for steering. Since you've already posted some pressure, please fit the frame lock in the articulation joint. Steer against the lock, left and right. Should see 3k psi or about 200-210 bar. At rest with no effort you should see 350 psi or about 25 bar.
Now, if your pressures are off and you're not making heat in either of the cylinders, you could try booming up while turning, if it gets easier, you could have dirt in the central valve. If the problem remains, I would remove the block at the orbitrol steering valve. Once you remove all the hoses, it should just be 2 allan screws. I have seen the guts from those valves just disappear. Each wafer should have very light spring tension, if it's even there.
Let us know what you find, we'll help you get it resolved. Good luck.

remus

Hello,
On Saturday I did the following tests:
1. raising the cup from the ground to the maximum upper limit: 3.5-4 seconds
2. I blocked the steering, the engine is idling, the measurements taken at the measuring point on the steering valve show:
- with the steering wheel not actuated, I have a pressure of 25 bars
- with the steering wheel turned to the right, I have 200 bars
-with the steering wheel turned to the left, I initially have 200 bars, after which it drops to 110 bars and stays like that, the steering wheel turning, but the wheels do not turn. If I accelerate, the engine has a tendency to turn the wheels to the left.
I decided to change the direction valve but the result is the same.
PS Because I still have a VOLVO L110F loader, I was able to quickly replace the parts, for verification.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So when the wheel is free spinning and you're producing 110 bar, what would happen if you tilt your bucket over relief. If you don't experience a gain in steering effort, we're going to have to look at the LS pressure generated by the steering valve.
BTW , have you removed and inspected the valve body from the side of the orbitrol?

Attachments

• 16859768859859093392698715035173.jpg
    16859768859859093392698715035173.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

remus

Hello,
Please recommend a safe site where I can buy a complete repair manual for front loader VOLVO L110F, VOLVO 120E and JCB 240NC crawler excavator
Thank you.
A good day.