• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel Tracks on Concrete

Bote

Is there a practical way protect an existing concrete shop floor from occasional contact with steel dozer tracks? I have a free source for used conveyor belts that I think will protect the concrete and be more durable than wood. I plan to replace the grass on one side of my shop with dense grade and build a lean-to for the dozer but I'd like to bring it in the shop for service.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Thats what I use. Seems to work just fine. I was using recap tire tread that I bought at an auction years ago. I really liked it at first but after a fair amount of use the cleats would cut through the tread and would end up with a bunch of short pieces.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I too use old conveyor belting. Seems to work fine as long as you travel in a straight line.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Lengths of old steel plate will work, too, if you can source some. You can also use wooden railroad ties, this has the advantage of raising the tractor up, and make it easier to slide underneath when you have work to do on the underside.
The downside then, is it makes it harder to climb up on the tractor! A set of steps is always useful in a shop, anyway, for climbing up and down - they generally save skin from being scraped!

When I built my shop in 1975, I installed 6 lengths of rail line, in two sets of 3, about 10" apart in the floor, with the head of the lines just slightly above floor level.
That floor endured multiple D7's running in and out on it, for many years, heaps of track rebuilding, tractors screwing back and forth - and the floor is still good today (I sold the property and shop to a friend in the early 1990's, and moved away, but I've been back there occasionally, over the years).

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
My vote is for the conveyor belting its tough and you can roll it up and store it out of the way when it's not needed.

MG84

If it's for the 450C you're discussing in the other thread I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the concrete is reasonably old and hard. When I pull my 450c in the shop I don't put anything down on the floor, just throw some blocking down at the edge of the door so it doesn't chip the edge of the slab. Then again, my dozer is a LGP and it's just an old farm shop that I don't care about how the floor looks, so YMMV.