• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

steel track ctl

05rammer

I was wondering if there was an aftermarket company that makes kits to put steel tracks on a ctl? I know Cat offers it from the factory, buy would really like to have it on a Takeuchi or maybe a kubota.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

I'm curious about this.

From willie59's #2 post it isn't obvious . . . I would have thought if available proper steel tracks would be mandatory in some conditions.

I realize the machine wouldn't be as fast and agile as when running on rubber belts but from watching these little jiggers work on several sites I reckon a few operators need some re-education as to how to slow down and operate them as a machine instead of buzzing around like bloody blowfly.

Cheers.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm curious myself Scrub, hence the reason I asked "why"? And you touched on some of the reasons CTL rubber track machines are what they are...high speed production machines. For their size and weight they can flat out do some work. With that said, there has to be a reason why someone would desire to replace the rubber belts with steel tracks. Without knowing and rather to wager a guess, I suppose it would be the material the machine is working is chewing up the belts, maybe rocky terrain. Which is a valid argument. However, if that's the case, again why I ask the reason why, steel tracks, track chains, bottom rollers in no way can match toe to toe with rubber tracks when it comes to speed of travel, which is what CTL's do. Case in point, Komatsu produced crawler dumpers, the CD60, with steel tracks, and they produced them with rubber tracks as well. I've had experience with both. That machine shares a similarity with CTL machines, that is, they do a lot of traveling. Unlike an excavator planted and digging dirt, with the CTL and the crawler dumper, if they ain't walking they ain't working. In my experience with the Kommie dumpers, steel compared to rubber track undercarriage, the steel track dumpers eat undercarriage from doing so much walking, track chains and bottom rollers most notably, whereas the rubber track undercarriage last much much longer. Yes, rough rocky terrain can cut, split, destroy rubber tracks, but in the long haul, the undercarriage for steel tracks moving at speeds of a CTL will chew into the wallet as well. I'm curious as to the experience of others on this issue.

05rammer

The answer to why is better traction, last longer, what I do with one don't need to be on roads and don't have to worry about tearing tracks up.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's interesting 05rammer. If you do make the switch be sure and keep us posted on how it works. :drinkup

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Rubber tracks arn't the greatest with a foresty mulcher on the front of a CTL cause the flying timber chews the hell out of them plus the places you have to take them also contruibutes to a high failure rate. Steel tracks in this application and similar are far more durable and cheaper to replace.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I want to give one a try. Our CTL rarely operates on finished surfaces but it does operate in rocky conditions and demo jobs, two environments that are detrimental to rubber.

The T250 CTL we have is the most expensive machine undercarriage wise to operate per hour of any machine we have, that includes a D5, 953 and 321. I detailed some historic costs of rubber vs. metal UC's somewhere on the Forum, at the moment I don't remember where..:cool:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
05 rammer, if I remember rightly Supertrak fitted steel tracks on their early 140 hp mulcher which was Takeuchi based. If I'm correct then they may have everything to make the changeover.

Last edited:

movindirt

All the Cat steel track machines I have seen are triple grousers, seems to me for mulching a tall single grouser would offer much more traction.

I have seen some pictures in a bobcat brochure of a steel track iirc T-870...

Last edited:

05rammer

I don't think Bobcat offers steel tracks anymore. I would love to see a Takeuchi with steel tracks too. I remember seeing an older Takeuchi with steel tracks but don't remember where.

Tags

That's what I get for looking at it on an iPhone.:rolleyes:

Interesting, so the steel tracks match up to the rest of the undercarriage on a Tak. without modification?

That's what I was wondering too but they don't supply any other info. I would think at the very least you would need to add a top roller.