• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel track Compact track loader?

BIGBEN2004

Does anyone know of any manufacture that makes or made a compact track loader with steel tracks and not rubber? I seen a picture once of one and it looked like it had loader tracks on it that were steel. A friend of mine tried to say that ASV used to make them and I told him no and that I would find out who did. They are basically useless since the whole idea of a CTL is versatility in any job condition. I just want to see pictures and find out who makes or made them. I don't know if they are still made today.

BAREIN

Takeuchi Made a CTL with steel tracks back when Tak's were blue TL26? I could just imagine They would beat you up pretty good though. I don't know what ever happened to them.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Gimme their Steel tracks and I'll be a happy man, uncomfortable, but somewhat happy.

Look at the HP and weight on that sucker though, 140 hp with 50 gallons of fuel and 16,000 pounds!!!!!!!

Bobcatdan

Bobcat offers a steel track option on T750 and T770. I have never seen one so I can't offer any opinion on them

Digdeep

I had also heard that Terex was going to offer a steel track option for their PT100G Forestry machine.

labradorguy

Got a quote from Cat for steel tracks on a 299D XHP. They are available, but the price is not for the weak-hearted.

labradorguy

The main reason is that they are so new, the dealer doesn't really know how to price them. It requires a whole new undercarriage and the quote is so convoluted with shop time, parts swapping, and new components that I'm still trying to figure it all out. I hated to quote it here, be totally wrong, and look stupid, but with the minimal info I currently have on the deal, the best I can figure on this, they are going to run around 24k plus the cost difference between Cat's hi-flow option and regular hydraulics. So I'm guessing 27ish?? NOT cheap...

So yeah, you can buy a lot of rubber for that. You'll get 3000+ hours on steel, but also a rougher ride. I'm guessing that it will be a lot harder to throw off the steel tracks and they are going to also push a little harder on these big CTL's. There's going to be an extra ton on the ground too, so ground pressure is going to change, but also hillside performance and operating weight.... I dunno... That price to me is hard to justify, except for the fact that I am going to be using the CTL just like a little dozer on rocky hilltops. I know rubber is going to get chewed up in a hurry....

Digdeep

Why not share your quote?

Called my buddy who is a salesman for my local CAT dealer here in WI and the suggested list price for the steel track conversion kit is $16,900, but they will sell it for a discounted price off of that (He thinks I'm gouging him for info so he wouldn't give me a quoted price even after I promised to take him Musky fishing on my secret lake). He said it takes about a day to convert from a current CTL to the steel tracks.

labradorguy

$16,900??? Something is really weird here. I'm being told mid-20's and that is AFTER Cat credits back the new rubber tracks AND the undercarriage designed for rubber. Hmmm..... It would be worth my time to run the machine up there and let your buddy's guys do it.... That price they gave me just did not make sense. I just shook it off with a, "That's Cat for ya..." but even then it seemed lunatic high. That's why I was hesitant to say anything other than "Holy crap, it's high." LOL This was tracks for a 299D too?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Even at 17K you can buy a truck load of rubber tracks. Once you put steel on it your done putting on improved surfaces. It would really have to be a particular application to justify that kind of price bump and negate the machine from running in anything but dirt.

Digdeep

Even at 17K you can buy a truck load of rubber tracks. Once you put steel on it your done putting on improved surfaces. It would really have to be a particular application to justify that kind of price bump and negate the machine from running in anything but dirt.

Yeah, you'd have to really need steel to justify it. I could see it performing well in really rocky/shale type applications with a brush cutter or maybe with a six-way blade in hard pan applications in tight areas kind of like a D2 or old Oliver Cleat.