• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel Grade of steel cores in rubber tracks

Normand50

Hi Folks,
I am hoping someone here might know what grade of steel is used for all those steel cores molded into rubber mini-digger tracks, that the sprockets engage on.

Last year, time caught up on the tracks on my PellJob and I had to replace them. I don't like to waste stuff so the old tracks will get recycled as raised beds in the veg garden. All those steel cores in them however (some had already broken out) look to be good raw material for forging and re-machining in my workshop into new stuff around the smallholding. I've done quite a bit of searching on the net but not found any steel grades so I am hoping someone here knows.

Norman

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I think you can somewhat determine the type of steel by the color of sparks when you put it on a grinding wheel.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
My guess is this --- the cheapest possible material sold... probably has plastic in it..