• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steam cleaning your radiator core from the front is NEVER 100%

56wrench

when i used to run my 46a land clearing in the winter i made up an exhaust blower that would clamp on the end of my truck tailpipe (gas engine) and a long flexible metal hose with a wand/handle on the end. it had a flattish nozzle on the end. idle up the truck engine and it would develop sufficient pressure to blow a lot of dry leaf and bark debris out of the rad. i only used it after having the fan blowing and only if turning the fan blades did not get it clean enough. i used to turn the fan blades at least once a day and only occasionally used the exhaust blower. by watching the temp gauge and water pressure i could tell when the rad was getting plugged, then i would turn the fan blades to push, work it for 1/2 hr, freeze to death, then turn them back to pull and be toasty warm again:). the best temp in my opinion, for land clearing, is -20c or colder because all the small trees and brush shears off better and less dirt in the piles

nicky 68a

when i used to run my 46a land clearing in the winter i made up an exhaust blower that would clamp on the end of my truck tailpipe (gas engine) and a long flexible metal hose with a wand/handle on the end. it had a flattish nozzle on the end. idle up the truck engine and it would develop sufficient pressure to blow a lot of dry leaf and bark debris out of the rad. i only used it after having the fan blowing and only if turning the fan blades did not get it clean enough. i used to turn the fan blades at least once a day and only occasionally used the exhaust blower. by watching the temp gauge and water pressure i could tell when the rad was getting plugged, then i would turn the fan blades to push, work it for 1/2 hr, freeze to death, then turn them back to pull and be toasty warm again:). the best temp in my opinion, for land clearing, is -20c or colder because all the small trees and brush shears off better and less dirt in the piles
Wow,that’s a great idea I suppose if that’s all you’ve got.
I’m impressed as any D8 lasts forever aslong as that rad is clean and it has a good tranny pump.

Check Break

I wasn't going to bring this up, but CAT made a landfill core for this radiator. We bought one hoping it would make it easier to keep the radiator clean. It does do this as it has wider spacing between the fins, but the core is made of steel, so between the reduction in fins and the steel construction, it doesn't cool as well for our application. It probably does great in a landfull application. Requires other mods to the fan and fan shroud as well. The guy running this 8K has to keep his eye on the temp gauge to make sure she doesn't overheat. There's no free ride.