• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Staying cool this summer!!!

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
So what is everyone planning to use this summer to stay cool while doing mechanic work? Fans, umbrellas, tarp? Just seeing what everyone else uses, wanna be as cool as possible!!!

curb guy

All of the above. I picked up this thing last summer, a bandanna sort of like a "shamwow". You soak it in water, the colder the better, ring it out, and hang it around your neck. Works pretty good.

FSERVICE

shade tree, lawn chair, cooler full of cold adult beverages, OH you said at work.. LOL if its like last year here just seemed like everything broke right out in the middle of the jobsite or there wasn't even a cool breeze to be found. I have a plastic squirrel cage fan I keep on the truck, for the most part I just work thru it might take a break more often if its really hot. I keep a big water cooler on the truck along with a regular cooler with gator aid in it!! ( I can only handle the taste of water for a little bit I know its good for me but just don't like it) I don't run the AC on the truck till I know im headed to the house either. I also have the large brimmed hard hats to keep the sun off of my neck/ears. last summer I helped a ol cat work on a few things on a job south of here that had a roll up sunshade made up that was attached to the side of his truck & rolled out like on the side of a camper that was just great to work under as long as he didn't need the crane... I always think of my dad when people talk bout stayin cool, he wore long sleeved cotton shirt & bib overalls all year long(he was a welder starting out in the 40s), always said "sweating is good for you, it gets rid of the poison in your system" must be something to it he was still working at 85!!!

tctractors

When we have our 3 hot days (Summer) I wear thinner socks and take my jumper off, plus I tend to drink more Beer.
tctractors

catfixer

Had a patio umbrella on my old service truck. Was perfect when replacing the swing drive in a scrap handler this past summer down in Georgia.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I have a 10x10 pop up canopy that I carry but it seldom gets used. I wear the dickies breathable t-shirts and keep 2 spare shirts in the truck. I also try to schedule my heavy work for the morning. The service truck never gets shut off with the a/c running and I keep a yeti cooler full of ice cold water and try not to bull and thrash too much.