• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

starting out

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
I have a chance to maybe going out on my own doing underground sewer and water and wanted to ask what your thoughts where as far as timing. do you think its a good time or bad timing? I see that everybody is very busy, then I read articles says that their are huge drops in residential and other construction. I'm in the Detroit metro area. I plan on going out further and doing what ever it takes but I don't want to go under at all.
Sorry if put this in the wrong area. Thanks jeremy

tbone1471

In my area we are dead. Finished up a job in the fall and haven't found much since then. I refuse to lower my prices and maybe that has something to do with our lack of small work. But I am not working to turn money.

On the opposite side big contractors are swamped. Many job over 1 million. I go after the sub 1 million work and it just isn't there.

I don't think we will really see any developments until after the changes in the white house. There is a lot of uncertainty right now, as with any election year.

If I were you I would have a lot of money in the bank or wait and see what happens over the next 6 to 12 months then make a decision.

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
Thanks for your input. There is a lot to consider. I'm kinda surprised no one else has any input.

Vetech63

Wait till the 3rd quarter this year. The new administration will be in office and some new, and changed policy should spur quick economic growth. Confidence will be high, which will increase opportunities!