• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting land clearing/mulching business

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Cannot get away from those that expect free even when tell them will cost. He knew I also had the old Allis loader, hired a guy with a 953 to come in to dress off two pond levees that were built too steep as I told him NO. Guy charged him almost $4800, asked me later if was reasonable where I asked back what was the estimate? where the estimate had been $5000, he is in court trying to NOT pay that bill either. I tell you it takes all kinds and there are all kinds out there.

romanerin2011

Good grief, yea I've learned a while back not to do business with people that know you. But I guess anyone could be like that. But in regards to me starting a business, this is an explanation of my idea. I work at a coal mine, absolutely love my job, they will have to run me off to leave. Having said that, it works out to where I work 6 months a year. I'm trying to start a small sideline business, in the future I'd like to make enough to where my wife don't gotta work. But for the time being I just want to make enough to make payments. So I'm trying to figure out which would be the best route. I really want to get into mulching but I'm think of either a mini ex, mulcher, or dozer. What's y'alls thoughts on which I could find work for? Which that has always been my biggest fear is not being able to find work. I've had an ad on Craigslist for about a week and a half and only have had 2 calls but I reckon I should be patient and possibly think of other means to advertise. Would it be bad practice to call the bigger forestry mulching outfits and see if they have work that's too small or possibly work my machine for them and get a certain %?

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Craigslist is probably the last place I would look for service provider. Too easy to get on NET and look one up as to a registered business, as to grade work I cannot do I use local contacts and phone.

alskdjfhg

I'm far from an expert. But when I did the land clearing and dirt work for my shop, I used a guy I found on craigslist. He's kinda a gobber, but is a world class operator. Is very efficient and can hold a grade like nobody's business.

But I did my due diligence before hiring him and he checked out.

Neighbor asked me to disc a field for a cover crop replant as his old drag disc was/is shot. Gave him a estimate of four hours he said OK, gave him a bill for $320 and he squalled as if shot. Told him barely covered my expenses for fuel oils and lube as well wear on the discs. He refused to pay so I said fine and walked away, also told him no three times since as to leasing from us where his property adjoined and he could use the better pastures. He failed to understand the rift he set as he thought $80 was more than enough for twenty acres disced down 8", told him was that PER HOUR originally. He has been caught twice trying to 'borrow' that disc as his is still crap, cannot get it through his head is a no deal from here out unless he coughs up for that disc job. So have had bad days too.

Sound like the gobber that's my tennant farmer right now, kicking that a&& hole out this year. Even if I can't find another decent farmer to rent the ground out, I'll disc the rows down and cut if for hay. Less money more work, but better than dealing with that idiot.

Welder Dave

Good grief, yea I've learned a while back not to do business with people that know you. But I guess anyone could be like that. But in regards to me starting a business, this is an explanation of my idea. I work at a coal mine, absolutely love my job, they will have to run me off to leave. Having said that, it works out to where I work 6 months a year. I'm trying to start a small sideline business, in the future I'd like to make enough to where my wife don't gotta work. But for the time being I just want to make enough to make payments. So I'm trying to figure out which would be the best route. I really want to get into mulching but I'm think of either a mini ex, mulcher, or dozer. What's y'alls thoughts on which I could find work for? Which that has always been my biggest fear is not being able to find work. I've had an ad on Craigslist for about a week and a half and only have had 2 calls but I reckon I should be patient and possibly think of other means to advertise. Would it be bad practice to call the bigger forestry mulching outfits and see if they have work that's too small or possibly work my machine for them and get a certain %?

You might do good to take a business course and learn about marketing. Lots of books in the library or book store too. I advertised skid steer work in a local paper that was usually distributed to newer communities. Maybe you could talk to the chamber of commerce in your town or city. You could talk to the big operators but I doubt they'd hire you and your machine. They might refer you to a smaller job(s) but without knowing how reliable or how good of a job you do, it's their reputation on the line as well. You need to do some more research.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Since we're telling horror stories with "customers" -

I agreed to grade an adjacent lot in a residential subdivision for a "friend" of friend. He wanted to level the lot so he could put up a playground for his grandchildren. Met on site and agreed on a price of $1000 including mob for my 953C. Mob'd the machine in and graded the lot to his satisfaction before we moved out.

3 days later I get a call from the guy. He proceeds to tell me that my operator didn't work that hard and spent too much time talking on the phone and smoking cigs. Nevertheless he was happy with the finished product at the end of the job at the agreed upon price, as we walked the site with him. I didn't say what I really wanted too, which included many choice and colorful words, instead I told him to "Pay me what he thought it was worth". I got a check for $700.:cool:

One of the many reasons I don't work for individuals.

Welder Dave

Sometimes, you get the idiots that think the price is negotiable after it's finished. In some cases you can lower the bill a bit if the job went faster than you expected but when you work by the hour or the customer wants a price before you start, that should be the price. The customers attitude has a lot to do with it. I went out to do an estimate for rototilling, levelling and sodding a new home with a large lot. It was about an hour away from where I lived. Went out gave an estimate to the guy's wife based on what they wanted done. 2 days later the guy calls me and asks when I'm coming to do the estimate. I said I did 2 days ago and he says he has some changes so I go back out and give another estimate, $1200. Then after I get the job he changes his mind again 1/2 way through and wants a smaller garden and sod beside the house where originally he wanted to put a flower bed. I said no problem but it's going to need more sod. I said I'll charge you for the extra sod (5 pallets, about $250 if I recall) but won't charge for the labour to install it. I thought that was more than fair. He said yeah, go ahead and get more sod. Then when the job is done he gives me a cheque for $1100 and said he's holding back $100 incase there's any problems with the job. He had the city lot grading inspector out 3 times checking my work and the guy who is extremely picky said it was perfect, no problems before the sod was laid.

I wasn't having any of his BS so paid $25 and sent him a statement of claim. He calls me and wants me come and look at the job and clear up the bill. I go back out and he says come in the back yard. He walks around for a few minutes and then says look at this, he steps on a piece of sod and then steps on another piece. See it's lower. One piece of sod was, I kid you not, a 1/4" lower than the piece beside it! I said nobody guarantee's sod will be exactly the same width and you haven't even cut it yet. Once the seams grow together and you cut it, it will be even. Then he says I wasn't even the lowest bid, I was the middle bid. I told him I used premium sod and all he had to do was look at his yard and compare it with other yards. He agreed it did look better. He had the greenest yard in the whole neighborhood. I got a good deal on the sod because the owners of the sod farm were long time customers of my dad and good friends of ours. They use only certified seed and they guaranteed it. It was cut in the morning and delivered the same day. It was the same sod used in Commonwealth Stadium and on major golf courses.

romanerin2011

Still been doing some brain storming. I'm thinking maybe I could start with just a stump grinder and see how it goes. I can get a decent stump grinder for $30k vs a forestry mulcher for $80k +. I could keep advertising for land clearing and after I paid off the grinder look at other equipment. Just would feel better with a $600 monthly note vs $1200. Haven't gotten any calls yet but my brother in law has told me that craigslist is a terrible place to advertise. Said once he started advertising with google, his phone rings all day.

Welder Dave

A 30K stump grinder? You better get a lot work for it. How can you advertise for land clearing if you don't have a mulcher?

romanerin2011

A 30K stump grinder? You better get a lot work for it. How can you advertise for land clearing if you don't have a mulcher?
Get a lot of work because it's 30k? I didn't want to buy a real cheap one and not get the work done. I just thought this might be a little safer area to get into, figured I'd get more work and not have a $1200 note.

Welder Dave

Maybe specialize in stump grinding then if nobody else is doing it. Would be a lot less machine maintenance than a skid steer and mulcher.

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
When it comes to time & effort to do a job, never underestimate your expertise, expenses, & equipment.

Time & perceived effort is irrelevant. A Dr makes a ton an hour...but you're not paying them for THAT hour. Your paying for all the hours that made them that proficient & knowledgeable. You're also paying for all the overhead & equipment that he/she has, the help, the electric bill, the water & sewer bill.

That said, if you're going to charge that way...you need to have the skills (and equipment) to pay the bills.

Customers pay me for my knowledge, contacts, and time. Everything I do they could figure out on their own...eventually. But time is money. Learning what I know takes time. Developing relationships with the right people...takes time. Knowing where to get what...and making sure 'what' isn't cheaper just because it's junk. Knowing who to call for what...and having them call you back.

I don't discount those things. I'm still a better alternative than my competition, and when I'm not I tell them (Never underestimate the power of honesty & saying NO). Now some may get lucky here and there without me...BUT...on average I'm a cheap date. : )

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
Some last thoughts....

A. Get things up front in writing.
B. Hourly work...machine hours? Or time on the job? When does that clock start? When does it stop?
C. Pictures...everyone should have a camera on their phone USE IT!
D. Regardless of HR vs Job...keep track of your time & expenses daily. To both CYA & to learn true costs of jobs.
E. Videos...if something changes or customer wants to over ride your professional opinion...VIDEO it or PUT IT ON PAPER.
I've got a video of a guy taking full responsibility for any issues arising from me helping to pull out his $100k Mercedes
ALWAYAS CYA!!! 100x's more expensive in the end if you don't.

FINALLY...take pics of your jobs. Get a Ipad or cheap tablet to take with you and have those pictures BEFORE, DURING, AFTER of your jobs to show the next customer. PEOPLE HAVE ZERO IMAGINATION, most have ZERO UNDERSTANDING of what is required. Pictures allow you to show them what you can do, what it takes to do it, what they can expect along the way, and why you are the right choice. Also they are the best CYA in any time of dispute over time worked, if you were on the job when you said you were (had a customer accused of holding up a job after the fact - he worked for both project owner & general on that job that turned ugly) and his pictures of his equipment on that job shut that **** down instantly. Pics + time stamps = him having more credibility than anyone else involved. It then became him telling the arbitrator how the cows ate the cabbage (as they say) and that was a big deal.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Neighbors have been pushing for me to get into full excavation business, keep telling them are too many locally as it is(4), but they do not use them due to cost as if I would be able to charge less. I cannot use too old a machine as I do on the farm where they do not understand the issues, then they do not understand the art of charges from yard to site and back at beginning and end of project nor do they want to understand the excavator has to make a living as much as they do just with higher expenses. Becomes a tug of war as to viability as opposed to economic virtue or quantity of continuous work. One 'questionable' job and your reputation goes in the trash then work comes to a halt.