• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starter for 530 CK

wlas

My starter is not working and I have lots of voltage, so I am thinking about buying a new one, has anyone bought one off of ebay ? They look like aftermarket ones and are smaller, if least the motor does. The engine I have is a 188D, any input would heip.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
I would recommend that you get the Nippondeso gear reduction starter as used on the 580 D series. If you have a Torque Converter tractor don't forget the gasket. You may have to bend the steering pump lines slightly and get a bit longer cables but the cranking power is vastly superior to the old Delcos. I have changed several over with complete satisfaction. I also add a relay to help kick it in as the neutral start circuit often will not handle the nippons solenoid draw and erratic starting is the result. If you do go this route be aware that there are cheap knockoffs of the Nippon which are hard to distinguish from the real ones.

Mel.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Any Case dealer who participates in the Megavolt rebuild program has access to the starters. Probably a good local independant rebuilder can fix you up also. As I previously stated, beware of cheap imitations, they are identical in appearance but wound lighter in the armature and fields. They are sold by some shortline outfits, I believe that Tisco is a knockoff for instance.

Be aware that you may have trouble getting a core charge for your old starter since you do not have an identical trade in but the core value will not kill you if you don't get it.

I do not have to tell you that your location will require the heaviest battery that can be fitted and all cabling first rate and I would cable the battery ground right to a starter retaining bolt.

As previous, the 580 D series ( a 207 CID) is the last series to use the three bolt Nippondenso starter, all the internal parts to the tractor are the same as the Delco setup so the only changes you will have to make are external, such as slightly bending the steering pump pipes to get installation clearance. At first look you will say "it won't fit" the drive is larger but it will and you will not be disappointed.

Check with Case first ---580D gear reduction starter---. If they do not have a rebuild program you may have to go outside them to get a more reasonable price. just be sure of the quality.

Mel