• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SSHD front diff repair

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I tired of the "Heat & Beat" treatment and purchased the "Tiger Tool" pullers for these jobs. Two different sizes and the installers also for the caps. Haven't torn a single anything up since, but really don't use an impact on this stuff.

Sure makes breaking a driveline easier for towing.

56wrench

I bought the smaller tiger tool to use on newer light duty drive shaft u-joints because i tenderly used old-school methods and was concerned about driveshaft damage on my aluminum driveshaft. I haven't had to use it yet but i wanted to be better prepared for next time. My hammer skills are not as accurate as they used to be:eek::(

Truck Shop

The only problem with the thread in/bolt type is when the threads are bad. It will be yoke
time anyway. And the tiger tool will stretch a yoke. But I only have two trucks left with
full round joints everything pretty much is half round.

coastlogger

Decided to try my own "invention"for u joint separation.2 plates made from my favorite building material,1" grader blades,a couple readi rods and 2 ,8 ton jacks. Just got it together at end of day,did separate one very stuck cap,will see how it pans out overall.IMG_20220203_171456212.jpg IMG_20220203_171523791.jpg

56wrench

I'd be careful with anything made out of grader blades. They can be quite brittle and break depending on how much they are hardened during the manufacturing process

coastlogger

That's interesting Wrench and thanks for the caution.I've always been aware that this could happen but have never seen it. At the scrapyard I go to the owner welded blades to the tips of his forks to extend them for picking up cars etc.I thought this was pushing the envelope quite a bit and I'm careful to stay clear when he's using them.

coastlogger

The homemade puller worked a treat .spent most of day removing diff from parts truck. Looks really good so it should get me mobile again.Got a call from truck parts outfit saying the sliding clutch collar in my sshd power divider is a no longer available part .sooo will have to figure out how to break it to wife that we need anothe 1980s vintage parts truck .anybody know a supplier that might have this part?or is there something about using a power divider from a different vintage?

Truck Shop

Hagerman Truck Salvage Umatilla, Or.. Ask for Randy Gibson he is a outside sales person now but spent
years working as a gear man. Randy is a good guy and can find most anything gear related.

Tell him Mike at Tate sent you-I've known Randy for 25 years, honest he is.

coastlogger

Well the program suffered a setback today. Seems parts truck has 5.29 diffs and old ones are 4 point something.I had compared the specs when I bought the parts truck but I guess someone changed something in last 40 years .
.Changing out both diffs.The lower gear ratio will I blv be better for my work,lots of hills etc.
Should be a qualified diff changerouter by the time I'm thru I guess,for whatever that's worth .