• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sprocket not Working?

skadill

This one is being turned back into an idler by the looks of it .Just had to take a photo of it to let people laugh,worst I've seen on an excavator(330 Cat)

Attachments

• DSCN1119.jpg
    DSCN1119.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 621

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
Good lord!
The chain has probably cut into the gearbox too.
I imagine there is going to be a lot more problems that occur from this

JDOFMEMI

I have seen some pretty bad sprockets, but this one takes the prize. I don't see there being case problems on the finals, but the impact damage that occurs when chains jump the teeth would have taken a toll on the gears inside by now.
Even though the rails look good, the bushings are probably shot clear through to the pins.

Scrapper

Is there a reason why Cat didn't put a split (Segment) sprocket on excavators like they do on some dozers?

For all I know maybe some excavators do have segmented sprockets. Seems it would be a lot easier to replace them if they did.

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Is there a reason why Cat didn't put a split (Segment) sprocket on excavators like they do on some dozers?

For all I know maybe some excavators do have segmented sprockets. Seems it would be a lot easier to replace them if they did.

Just a guess here, but the fact that an excavator spends most of its day sitting still and digging, while a dozer spends most of its day moving, means that a dozer needs to replace the sprockets WAY more often than an excavator. I have seen a few excavators pushing near 20,000 hours and still be on the original sprockets. A dozer on the other hand, will rarely go more than 5,000 hrs on them. No need for the added expense if you only need to replace it maybe once in the machines life, unless you are in abnormal conditions.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
wow mate that guy got a good run out of it. think the owner might be a bit on the cheap side when it comes to replacing parts hahahaha

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
Hmmm.......Smooooooth as a babies bottom. Heck, it's wore enough to drop the tracks and throw that bad boy on a set of train rails....now one can go custom rail-scavating. There's gotta be more wrong than just that gear. The outside track links shouldn't be THAT clean and polished up....should they?? Congrats on getting full use out of it though.:drinkup

alco

I thought is had seen some pretty worn out sprockets before, but nothing like that!

What scares me, is wondering how bad the rest of the machine is, if they've let things go that far with the sprocket.

RobMonk

I am trying to figure out how that worked when it was half that bad. That track must be so tight you can play a tune on it.