• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spring/summer works

20/80

Occupation
operator
The weather here is hot today, hoping my roads will dry out, but rain in the forecast for Monday, and to add misery to the pot we may be looking at a cat 5 hurricane next Friday to hit us dead on, sure hope it goes out to sea, lots can happen between now and then, Monday they will have a better forecast on Hurricane Lee's direction, hoping for the best

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My new blades are at the shop. $5700, and replacement teeth are $25 each.. Not bad if they work well. A local contractor that has maintained logging roads for years has them on his fleet of graders. He says for what we do, it should last a long time if maintained. He says his operators carry an old style oil can with fuel in it, and put a couple drops in the hole on each tooth every night. Keeps the from rusting, and they stay free.

20/80

Occupation
operator
My new blades are at the shop. $5700, and replacement teeth are $25 each.. Not bad if they work well. A local contractor that has maintained logging roads for years has them on his fleet of graders. He says for what we do, it should last a long time if maintained. He says his operators carry an old style oil can with fuel in it, and put a couple drops in the hole on each tooth every night. Keeps the from rusting, and they stay free.
Those blades is all I use year round, I would recommend you hard surface the back of them along the holder bar and on the ends, there are stinger blades that will come that way but I am running the bottom of the barrel for stinger blades, the DOT buy's only the cheapest, so hard surfacing the rear and ends makes them last alot longer, I use a litre jug of tranny fluid with a small hole drilled in the cap to lube the bits, just run a bead along the top of the holding bar so the oil soaks in the holes, dust doesn't seem to stick to tranny fluid, works well

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Those blades is all I use year round, I would recommend you hard surface the back of them along the holder bar and on the ends, there are stinger blades that will come that way but I am running the bottom of the barrel for stinger blades, the DOT buy's only the cheapest, so hard surfacing the rear and ends makes them last alot longer, I use a litre jug of tranny fluid with a small hole drilled in the cap to lube the bits, just run a bead along the top of the holding bar so the oil soaks in the holes, dust doesn't seem to stick to tranny fluid, works well
These are from LSW wear parts, so I'm guessing Sandvik? I've seen hard surfacing on the front face as well on some. Hoping it helps as I have been asking for them all summer.

20/80

Occupation
operator
The first thing you notice is how they alway's stay straight, not like the straight wear blades of the past,this really play's a part when you are spreading, also not having to change them every couple of day's cutting hard surfaces, takes a bit to get use to, blade angle is your friend also do not be to aggressive with them, again it takes a bit to get use to them, once you get it figured out you will love them.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The first thing you notice is how they alway's stay straight, not like the straight wear blades of the past,this really play's a part when you are spreading, also not having to change them every couple of day's cutting hard surfaces, takes a bit to get use to, blade angle is your friend also do not be to aggressive with them, again it takes a bit to get use to them, once you get it figured out you will love them.
I'm guessing it will be hard to get used to fine grading with them, I was almost 5 hours Friday cutting off enough gravel to get through the scarifier marks, and re laying it on 500 meters with the regular cutting edge. I did 200 the other night with my mid mount scarifier, going full depth, but it brought up the pulverized material and they didn't like that. I've got about 3km left to string line ahead of the pavers. They are about 1500 meters behind me.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Any roads left in Nova Scotia? We got a lot of rain, but not much wind. The road job I am on is on the coast right by a major marina. They hauled a lot of lobster boats out of the water Friday just in case.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We lucked out here in the Eastern part of the province, more like a fall storm then a hurricane, very little damage in my area, power was out of course for a day, western part got more of a impact with downed power lines and trees on the road and some coastal damage, most roads held up though, this hurricane could have been a lot worst, it isn't over yet for hurricanes in this region

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
So my new blades did job. Not sure what brand they are. They have a rough face the bits have a plastic retainer that hold the steel ring closed until they are in, and there is a small plate with a lock nut on top. They are what Irving buys for their woodlands devision. I bought a little parts cleaner sprayer, and put fuel in it. Spray the tops every night. The outside tooth on each end is wearing odd. One even has a flat spot. The carbide is fine, but the part above it is flat in one spot. Could it be from pressure from front and side maybe. I see sandvic has corner edges, wonder if these do as well

20/80

Occupation
operator
So my new blades did job. Not sure what brand they are. They have a rough face the bits have a plastic retainer that hold the steel ring closed until they are in, and there is a small plate with a lock nut on top. They are what Irving buys for their woodlands devision. I bought a little parts cleaner sprayer, and put fuel in it. Spray the tops every night. The outside tooth on each end is wearing odd. One even has a flat spot. The carbide is fine, but the part above it is flat in one spot. Could it be from pressure from front and side maybe. I see sandvic has corner edges, wonder if these do as well
There's a good chance your stinger bit is not rotating, that's why the flat spot, they will do that, I sometimes move them around a bit which helps but you will get that with the stinger bits alot, if they get to bad just replace the bit, takes a while for them to wear down though before replacement

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well guy's its that time of the year again, have been quiet for abit, now I am full swing into grading again, removed my tower and wing last week and I'm concentrating on my graveled roads first off the line, the none gravel roads would turn to nothing but mud if I graded them up now, usually wait till end of April to start them if we get some good drying days, snow is all but gone now, had a bit last week but nothing serious couple of inches, So what's everyone up to?

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I believe spring has sprung here also now have all my wings off getting blades ready to start spring work going to start discing shoulders middle of this week about to get really busy trying out some new edges there a sharq carbide serrated edges I like that I don’t have to rotate them and can still switch to a solid blade pretty quick going to see how I like these compared to my double carbide edges and stinger bits here are a few pictures of themIMG_6370.jpegIMG_6373.jpegIMG_6372.jpeg

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
They do build up with a little bit of material but nothing that bothers you while grading never had it become an issue and I’ve been grading some really sticky wet high clay gravel with no issues.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I believe spring has sprung here also now have all my wings off getting blades ready to start spring work going to start discing shoulders middle of this week about to get really busy trying out some new edges there a sharq carbide serrated edges I like that I don’t have to rotate them and can still switch to a solid blade pretty quick going to see how I like these compared to my double carbide edges and stinger bits here are a few pictures of themView attachment 309685View attachment 309686View attachment 309687
Some operators in our sister shops have used them, and like them, but I never seen them used with 3 blades sandwiched together like you have, we just used 1 blade, but yours looks a bit different, the ones we use look more like a screen that you can flip them as they wear using the same wedge type holders, same Sharq company just different style blades, How do they wear and do they last long?

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Some operators in our sister shops have used them, and like them, but I never seen them used with 3 blades sandwiched together like you have, we just used 1 blade, but yours looks a bit different, the ones we use look more like a screen that you can flip them as they wear using the same wedge type holders, same Sharq company just different style blades, How do they wear and do they last long?

I gotcha your talking about the thinner p300 edge from sharq I’ve used them also they work good but have to rotate them a lot to keep straight these edges I have won’t have to rotate very often since carbide I run a 16ft moldboard so I use four 4ft edges to make 16 and so far I got about 200 hours on the set and there holding up very well and that’s been doing a little bit of everything so I’m interested to see how many hours I get on them will keep everyone updated.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
we were right down to nothing, and then got almost 3 feet one storm, and about 16 inches on the weekend. It went up to 18 Canadian, or 64 and a half F just before the eclipse yesterday, and warm today. Lots of melting going on.

20/80

Occupation
operator
we were right down to nothing, and then got almost 3 feet one storm, and about 16 inches on the weekend. It went up to 18 Canadian, or 64 and a half F just before the eclipse yesterday, and warm today. Lots of melting going on.
Yes I heard you guy's got hit hard, zero snow here now, backroads are drying up nicely, A inch of rain coming Friday though

IceHole

Still plenty of snow here. Muddy at home, been in the 30s, low 40s during the day, 20s at night.

Hasn't been above freezing yet at work. -20* right now, -38* with the wind.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We are starting to do shoulder recovery on our pave roads next week, we usually do about a weeks worth every year, our system works good and we usually do about 60kms or 40 miles a day.