• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

splitting a genie boom

Chewie2105

hey everyone running into some issues and wanted to quiz the collective. have a couple genie 34/22 booms at work that need to split and replace the main rotate bearing assembly (excessive play)

tentative plan is to unbolt, jack up the house and support it with steel saw horses (2x2 square tube .188 wall) and then slide 2 I beams under the unit to support the house while pulling the carbody out and replacing the bearing

my issue is in sizing the I beam I need, roughly looking at a 10 ft span, 2 beams ideally though a third is not out of the question.

don't want to lift higher then I need to but need to ensure safety

machine total weighs 10000lbs, budgeting house weighing 7000-8000 to give some space

any help would be appreciated

Zewnten

Genie has manuals online. Select the one for your machine and it will have all the info you need.

Chewie2105

Hi I think people misunderstood, I am not asking for info on the weight of the machine I have that as transport this machine quite often for rentals. I was looking for some feedback on how Large of an I beam would need to support the house while I replace the bearing. Genie manuals are quite good but limited in their scope to what is on the machine, does not tell you sizing of beam for a 10 ft span

Zewnten

Hi I think people misunderstood, I am not asking for info on the weight of the machine I have that as transport this machine quite often for rentals. I was looking for some feedback on how Large of an I beam would need to support the house while I replace the bearing. Genie manuals are quite good but limited in their scope to what is on the machine, does not tell you sizing of beam for a 10 ft span
There are online calculators for beam deflection. That should give you what you need.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What is your lifting plan? Are you jacking it with the beams?

That's what I was wondering Vetech63. I have no clue what size beams he needs, but jacking the upper without proper overhead cranes and such, that sounds sketchy. That's why I asked if he had air inflated tires, but I've had no reply back. Surely Chewie will eventually get an answer to his question, but then, what's the plan?

Chewie2105

no beams are to support once it is lifted with cribbing and jacks, or forklifts. beams will not fit between the house and the carbody as it sits. would love to have an overhead crane to lift the machine but not happening in this shop. plan is to lift and support the boom to undo the top bolts, then stabilize the house and lower the boom, lift the house enough to slide beams in place and flip hubs on the carbody and slowly pull it out to complete the work. not a perfect plan but have to work with what I have. job will be revisited as it goes for safety.

Willie not sure why air or foam filled tires would affect the lift much other then stability which are working to negate

Chewie2105

Wanted to circle back to this and let people know worked with one of our suppliers, they got us some 8 inch beams.

machine #1 went smoothly, supported the basket on our shop mezzanine and 3 forklifts to lift the house, slid the saw horses and beams under the unit and pulled the car body out and replaced the main bearing, went quite well, now just need time to do unit #@