• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spicer Transmissions?

1toomanyhobbies

I mainly see Eaton Fuller transmissions in heavy duty trucks but I was looking through CL and found an international with a new 10speed spicer. Does anyone have any experience with Spicer transmissions? Are they are good as Eaton Fullers?

06Pete

I don't know about the 10 spd but I had a 5x2 in a IH and it was horable would never shift right just plain aggrevating to drive finaly sold it and never looked back. That is just one I dont know about any others.

HolmesWood

have the five speed in a international,been through 3 of them in the past two years.they are garbage.

Randy88

I'm unfortunate to have two of them, one we just put in last fall new, the other is also bad, spicers are not what I'd call a good transmission, if I left out all the swear words, it would be a pretty quiet conversation. In my opinion eaton fullers are a pretty bullet proof, simple transmission, spicers are the opposite of that. They don't shift even new as nice as any eaton fuller does, the junk one we took out shifted about as bad as the new one we put in, same as the one thats in my other truck has for the last 8 years I've owned it, for some reason they are not as durable as any other transmission out there is. I plain hate them, any of them I've ever driven or owned, I have nothing good to say about them other than they are excellent money pits and cause everyone who drives them to swear and cuss and even learn a few new swear words, thats about all they are good for. If given a choice I'd never own another one and would love to replace both of mine for any eaton fuller, we wanted to do a retrofit when we did the last one, but were told by quite a few that is was a major under taking and the cost was pretty high to do the complete conversion, and time was limited, my old one had a gear knocked out of it and we needed the truck.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I had a Spicer 4 speed auxilary that I had apart at least 5 times in 20 years.Stay away if at all possible.

LonestarCobra

I have driven trucks for years with the Spicer five speed and the Spicer 1241 four speed auxillary behind it and had no trouble. They are a little more touchy to shift, but driven correctly they are fine. The pair in my 83 Paystar 5000 have over 700,000 mile on them and have been re-bearing one time last year.